Hello Guest

Stretching truck bed without converting to LWB - thoughts?

• 8 Replies

Offline VikingWeightlifter

• Heavy weights, craft beer, and zooks!
Stretching truck bed without converting to LWB - thoughts?
« on: March 06, 2019, 12:03:54 PM »
See the attached picture I mocked up ion photoshop.
What's the community thing of a 1.5 foot stretch? Awesome, or ugly?

Online fordem

Re: Stretching truck bed without converting to LWB - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
Is it worth the work involved?

To do it properly you'll need to extend the frame and the tub, you'll need upgraded springs (assuming the extension is going to be 'functional'), possibly upgraded brakes, and, last but not least, the departure angle has been affected to the point where if you take the vehicle off pavement, you're going to hang the rear end up on every down slope...
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline VikingWeightlifter

• Heavy weights, craft beer, and zooks!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 03:12:33 PM »
I'm not so sure about some of that. It wouldn't be carrying any more weight than it already does (a tent, some beer, and a person/dog in the back) - the payload would be almost identical, it would just have a bit more space for bulky objects / leg room.
The departure angle is already better than most rigs, and I don't plan on doing any insane crawling, just the trails that the volvo can't handle.

But yeah, if the idea was to have it function like the truck bed of a tacoma, then I would agree; it's really just meant to be enough space for a cooler and a tent behind the folding seat.

Is it worth the work involved?

To do it properly you'll need to extend the frame and the tub, you'll need upgraded springs (assuming the extension is going to be 'functional'), possibly upgraded brakes, and, last but not least, the departure angle has been affected to the point where if you take the vehicle off pavement, you're going to hang the rear end up on every down slope...

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:26:37 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work for a cooler and a tent - have you considered a roof rack?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline fuzzy1

• It's not about hair, it's about the logic
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 06:20:13 AM »
Personally, I don't understand why you would do this. It's a Samurai, it's not a pickup or a LWB. They are becoming scarce in good shape. Unless the body & or frame are already tanked IMO you would be ruining a perfectly good Sammy. If you need more room, why not just sell the Sammy & get a 4 door trackick, or a Yota pickup or... etc. There are LOTS of vehicles out there with more room. Save the Sammy for someone who will enjoy it for what it is!
'97 Sidekick Sport 1" spacer lift 225/75R16 Cooper AT's. Pioneer Sound, 14" Grant Steering Wheel.Otherwise mostly stock
'96 Tracker 1.6l 16v 3spd Auto 4x4 85k - 1 1/2" OME Lift BFG 235/75 AT's on Ion Alloy 15x7's - Pioneer Sound - Custom Installed Hydraulic Drivers Seat (Sold)

Non Illegitimi Conterat

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:26:41 PM »
Looks like you need a LWB Sammy
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 03:21:17 AM »
Look at it like a lever.  By adding to the frame and body you are adding weight.  The rear axle is the fulcrum point.  You are going to negatively effect the weight on the front axle.  Remember years ago all the stories about how unsafe 15 passenger vans were?  Lots of crashes...church youth groups, ladies groups, etc having wrecks and people being killed?  That was caused by Ford And Dodge “just adding a foot and a half” to an existing chassis to squeeze in that extra row of seats.  It caused disastrous handling characteristics because it changed the weight distribution and put less weight on the front axle.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Online fordem

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 04:39:44 AM »
That's an interesting point that I hadn't considered, for the intended tent & cooler, it shouldn't be too much of a concern, but, once the space is there, it's likely to get used for other things as well - taking that 'lever' approach a little further, I've seen a number of double cab pickups with bent frames, as a result of 'improper loading' - most double cab pickups have very little bed space in front of the axle, so when loaded, the load is frequently well behind the axle.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 01:26:10 PM »
For what the OP wants to do, I think he should just install a bolt on 2” receiver hitch and build a rack to carry the extra items.  It would be much easier and less permanent than adding length to the body.  I have one of the commercially available hitch racks I have used with my Sidekick.  It is amazing to me that just the empty rack effects the handling, even though it doesn’t weigh much, but it is that lever and fulcrum action.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!