Hello Guest

NorCal Love?

• 13 Replies

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
NorCal Love?
« on: May 17, 2006, 10:41:33 AM »
I live in Rocklin, CA (30 min east of Sacramento up I-80)

Anyone in northern California go out in their Zooks? I'm damn near all Stock - and want to learn how to wheel the right way. Would like to go out and follow, or be a passanger sometime. Are there any meets around here?

~J~
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline atc_gv

Re: NorCal Love?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 11:30:37 AM »
Check out Prarie City OHV park Just outside Sac. It has some obsticals for beginers to advance. Just get out there and try some of the easy stuff and maybe find some beginer tips online. What ya wheeling?

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 12:41:45 PM »
Stock 88 Samurai with "all terrain" tires. Nothing fancy at all :)

I'll eventually go with lockers, a 2-4" Lift. 30ish inch tires, and the 1.6L. Recovery equipment + Armor.

Won't ever get much more "radical" than that.

~J~
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 02:39:09 PM »

I'll eventually go with lockers, a 2-4" Lift. 30ish inch tires, and the 1.6L. Recovery equipment + Armor.

~J~

Sounds like a good plan...

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 04:47:46 PM »

~J~

Sounds like a good plan...

-Eric

I do woner - with 30" tires, and the 1.6L... should I still get some kind of gear reduction?  I'm of the "slow and controled" mindset on the trail... I would rather go slow instead of going too fast and breaking stuff... then again... lower gears = greater stress on parts right?

~J~
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline takai

• Yes, I drove that here. And No, it's not done!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 11:26:28 AM »
30's....gear reduction.....absolutely.....You could probably reduce the t-case to a 4.9 and keep your stock gears. It would still handle the freeway (especially with the 1.6).  Your mileage will probably be somewhere around 20. That is the only thing that has kept me from doing it to mine right now. I drive to far in mine everyday.
87 Sammi "Sir Tweak " Rockcrawler 4:1, Mighty Kong , 1.6 16V, Centerforce II, 2" Exhaust, Esteem seats. - Long gone
97 Tracker "Jezebel"  Bone Stock DD

'Cause, I am to misbehave.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 04:20:29 PM »
Anyone had a problem with this? I hear just changing the t-case gears puts stress on the drivetrain and breaks things... like U-joints?

~J~
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline JoshCushin

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 09:13:42 PM »
I totally agree with the "slow and controled" mentality. However I think your best bet would be to go with 31" tires, spring over and get some 4.16's for the t-case you'll love it. There is a 4x4 training clinic held down by Bakerfield  (google--4x4 training and look for Tom Sevrin) It is the best money you'll ever spend!

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 05:23:29 PM »
I live in the TRUE nor cal. Eureka california or more known as Humboldt.
its far nor cal.
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline igofshn

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 08:59:18 AM »
Anyone had a problem with this? I hear just changing the t-case gears puts stress on the drivetrain and breaks things... like U-joints?

~J~

Drivers break ujoints, not the gears.  The lower and slower the better.  You break things when you have to slam it hard to get up or through something.   Low tcase gears with low axle gears and low airpressure will make you wonder wy you hadn't done this before.

Offline Amilla

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 10:08:54 AM »
That is untill you hit the dreded greasy mud section and you cant bring your tire RPMs up high enought to clear your tires.  Thats just the downside, im all for low gears.
I agree low and slow is the way to go, it shows more driver skill than just mashing down and seeing where you end up in the end.

Amilla

Offline mykol

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 08:48:20 PM »
ok, i know this is way late, but i'm new to the forum and thought i'd share a little. i just bought my first wheeler...an 86 hard top...i've gone wheeling with friends before up in Twain Harte (south of you off of 108/120) its good wheelin up there. nice peaceful area with worn trails and some places to explore on your own. i went out in the stocker with street tires and had no prob in the creek, snow, mud, etc until i hit a really steep hill with a sharp turn and hump |removethispart|@ the top. anyway, there are alot of built jeeps and zooks up there, and people always out to have a good time. the other great place i've been through in the past and is the next stop for my sammy is Lake Alpine. you can do almost all of it stock, there's a section called "the ladder" that you can't go up stock but i believe there are usually turn outs to get around it, or if not, there are always spectators who are willing to winch you up. maybe i'll see you out sometime.

Offline Amilla

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 09:25:48 AM »
Where are you from?

Amilla

Offline trckdtrak01

• Got Flex?
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 02:10:33 AM »
I'm in the northern California area as well Eastern Section of Amador County. 2001 Tracker Mainly stock for the time being. Future plans for 2 1/2 suspension No more than 3 in. body. Low enough gearing for offroad but want to still be able to still keep her road legal.
2001 Tracker
Engine: 2.0 Ltr 16 V DOHC
Transmission: Stock
Shoes: 205/70/15 Goodyear Assurance on 8" uniques
Audio: Pioneer 3wy 6x9's/stock fronts Interior Stock