Hello Guest

Grand Vitara - Can't get out FR half shaft

• 5 Replies

Offline pmuzzio

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Grand Vitara - Can't get out FR half shaft
« on: February 21, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »
Hi!
Been reading the forums since I bought my 99 Grand Vitara 2.0 MT a few months ago. Last weekend I installed a 2" lift kit on the back, but was impossible to get out the front right halfshaft, it was stuck.  Since I was doing the front end I wanted to change the housing seal and install the bushing to prevent premature wear.

How is supposed to be removed? I think there is a snap ring or something holding the half shaft inside the housing. I pulled really hard, and tried doing some leverage with a screwdriver but no luck.

Than you so much for all you help and valuable information provided on the forums!

Regards

Pablo.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Grand Vitara - Can't get out FR half shaft
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
Which side is it stuck on?

If it's stuck in the housing there is small metal snap ring that helps to keep the axle in place.  If you give it a good pop it should come out of the housing.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »
You need a fairly good sized prybar, not a screwdriver, to pop it out easily. All that holds it into the diff is a small snapring but it takes a fair bit of force to overcome it.
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 08:28:02 AM »
You only want to be prying, or popping on the base of cup at the differential.  not on the axle shaft or cup on other end.  Make sure that the spring clip is on the stub shaft when it comes out.  If it is not there, you know where it is.  DON'T LEAVE IT THERE.  A small piece can ruin Your Diff when it interferes between the gears.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline pmuzzio

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 07:02:24 AM »
Thanks! I will tackle this job on the weekend and will let you know how that went down.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »
Sometimes the axle will pop right out, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I think it is because the snap ring gets a little out of alignment or something. I have removed many, many of these axles and 95% of them pop right out, but sometimes it binds up and I have to really wedge something in there to get it to pop out and it usually ends up breaking the snap ring in the process...which is why I think the snap ring gets a little out of alignment somehow.
If the axle doesn't pop out fairly easily, when you wedge something in there to pry it out, remove your pry bar and try spinning the axleshaft, to get the snap ring to shift positions and it might pop out easier. When it pops out easy, a 12" flat screwdriver is all that is needed to pry with.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.