Hello Guest

Sidekick Sport build 2

• 141 Replies

Re: Sidekick Sport build 2
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2018, 06:32:47 AM »
He was charged for theft and for possession of identification not his. I'm not sure what the exact charges were named. He had enough of my ID to create a major issue; passport, CAC card, and  various security badges.

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »
Cargo dome light is all wired in, and working now. It's nice having light behind the rear seat.

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2018, 08:01:24 PM »
First drive and first time at night. The speaker pods are not visible in rear view mirror at night. There is no visibility interference. I took the attached photo with the LED panel installed in the dome light. It works with the dor switch and the local switch.

The headliner will probably come out again for cleaning and to install insulation above the headliner. I have already covered most of the roof with constraint layer damper. It is noticeably quiter, but still louder than I want.  The doors also have CLD covering about 25%.

« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2018, 03:39:22 PM »
The Sidekick was having voltage problems one night, when I was stuck in traffic.  I thought it was the switch that I installed on the ground cable, so I pulled it out and it ran fine after that. It was a cheap switch, that I had installed to keep my battery strong when I leave the Sidekick at the airport for several weeks. I didn't seem to have a problem after that, but it may have killed my alternator. The alternator had enough output to run during the day, but it struggled at night in traffic with headlights and my excessively large Spal fan. I really need to reolace that fan.

I checked voltage with the engine on and minimal accessories on. It was only putting out 13.5V.  I was planning on upgrading the alternator for my winch install, so I ordered a replacement 160A alternator. I wanted to take the Sidekick deer hunting, so I put in the alternator from the totaled Sport, until the new one arrived.

The pic below is of the old alternator and the new one, side by side. There were minor differences, but it is working fine. I will test the max amps later, when it isn't raining. I had to hand file the bushing in the lower mount hole. The new alternator was 0.035" too wide and wouldn't slip into the lower bracket. Everything else went fine.

Online fordem

« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
Do you have a link or part number for the 160A alternator?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »
BNR Alternator and Starters - (818) 442 -9082. They don't have one listed for a 1.8 liter. I bought the one listed for a 2.0 liter. They have eBay listings also.

I'm also upgrading the cables from the battery to the alternator and the main fuse block.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 05:57:14 PM by Ridjobradi »

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2019, 12:45:56 PM »
Fordem - I found out that my AC clutch was intermittently staying engaged when the vehicle was off. That was my battery drain. I pulled the ac clutch relay, until I can diagnose the issue. I had already pulled every aftermarket accessory.

I can't help but wonder if that mirror isn't defective - I don't see any auto manufacturer intentionally designing a product to draw one amp continuously - that would "flatten" the average battery over a weekend, and I'm pretty certain I'm not the only person who will sometimes have a vehicle parked in the driveway for a couple of days without starting it.

It's not uncommon for my wife's car (a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer, with all the bells & whistles, including auto dimming mirror) to sit untouched between Friday evening and Monday morning, and there have been occasions when she travelling where it will sit for as long as a week.

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2020, 07:01:53 PM »
I found a 2.3 Aerio with right at 100k miles, with maintenance records. It was running and driving, but with bad brakes and significant under body rust. We decided that the brakes and wheel bearings were too questionable. That meant I had to pull the engine and ship it or ship the vehicle. We ended up dropping the engine the next morning. Two us dropped the engine, cleaned up the mess, and prepped the engine for shipping. That took about six hours of continuous hustling. Two hours of that was just cleaning and packaging the Aerio remains for the scrapper.

The engine internals were clean and I already had the parts ready for the swap. Having all the swap parts meant that I could prep the engine for the install, before removing the running J18. I think that helped the install time. Another friend of mine helped me install the J23. The remove and replace took most of a day, including the J23 prep.

We were able to start and run the 2.3 that night. Although I now have a transmission problem. I knew I was eventually going to have to replace or work on the trans. It gave me problems on a previous off road trip and now it just isn't cooperating. I have another trans and torque converter waiting on me to have some free time. I should get some shop time next week, when I return.

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2020, 09:06:44 PM »
Engine and transmission are in and running well. Unfortunately, the needle bearing in the rear output of the transfer case is falling apart. I drove over to my favorite off road parts place in the Salt Lake City area and they were closed. Im going to put the 4.24 gear transfer case on the shelf, until the rebuild kit arrives. I'm going to install a stock geared transfer case for now.

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2021, 11:36:29 AM »
I was gone for most of last year, but I made it home in the middle of December. After a quick whitetail hunting trip in south Texas, I flew out west where my Sport has been since last year.

We got the rebuilt transfer case installed, added oil, installed a new batter, checked all the fluids, and installed the drive shafts. I was surprised when the engine cranked up on the first try, after a few seconds of turning the key. We stopped to do a nut and bolt check all the way around and drove it out of the garage. The increase in power instantly noticeable, but most noticeable at highway speeds and above. My Sport is on 255/70-16 tires and I was easily cruising above 80mph, corrected for tire size.

I still have the P1875 code that I can't get rid of. I now have a code for the EGR valve. I will check the connecter and replace the EGR if needed. The J23 had 100k miles on it. I am not sure how well it was taken care of, but it looked good when we had the oil pan off. There was only slight discoloration inside the engine and the oil looked ok, with a recent date on the oil filter.

Now I need to get the air lockers installed.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2021, 12:12:09 PM »
Awesome to hear it is together and going down the road again!  Any long term planning as to when it will arrive "home"?
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2021, 12:53:33 PM »
I have some work coming up in Salt Lake City. If I am not on a project already, I will arrive ahead of time to get some wheeling in.

The plan is to make an off road run from MOAB up to northern California on the Pony Express. After that, my son and I will head east through Yellowstone. I have done the western half of Trans America Trail in this Sidekick. I need to complete the eastern half of the TAT this year also. I will go through Idaho, South Dakota, then head down through Nebraska, and Kansas. I need to pick back up on the TAT trail in eastern Oklahoma to complete it. There is a friend in Virginia that I want to wheel with as well.

To answer your question, I hope to have the Sidekick back in Galveston just in time for hurricane season. Honestly, it's a lot more fun to keep it in Utah. I've been to MOAB in it twice now.

Richard

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2021, 03:50:30 PM »
I could definitely see the benefit of keeping your rig in the heart of off road fun!
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2021, 11:44:01 PM »
I made it back to Salt Lake City for a few days. We have the lockers installed front and rear. The front locker is in a steel front diff case. Most of the air compressor wiring is done. I need to run the tubing and test the lockers.

I plan to go with tube bumpers, front and rear. I might sell my Warn 8274 rebuild and get a more appropriately sized  winch, for the Sidekick. It looks like I'm trying to mount a Sidekick to the 8274 winch, not the other way around.

I left Salt Lake and I'm in Phoenix for a few days. I will try to grab a skid plate while I'm out here. I'm heading back to Salt Lake, when I leave here.

If everything goes well, I will head north for the Fall Classic this year. I will be stateside for the rest of the year.

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2021, 11:46:38 PM »
I completely agree. I like driving the Sidekick, but it's hard to keep up with my buddies LS swapped FJ60 on the way to Moab. I did get pull him out when he got crossed up. He has open diffs, front and rear.

I could definitely see the benefit of keeping your rig in the heart of off road fun!