Hello Guest

what gauge sheet metal

• 4 Replies

Offline hwyman

what gauge sheet metal
« on: July 21, 2017, 08:01:13 AM »
I need to replace the floor in the rear storage area in my 94 dr tracker and I have access to a bead roller but I need advice on what gauge sheet metal I should use.

Thanks
Travis
1994 Geo Tracker  2dr 4wd 1.6l 8v Manual Trans

Offline TioPick

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: what gauge sheet metal
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
you must first know something about the nature of the person giving advice.  You see, I would weld in diamond plate myself...  the same in a 3/4 ton working truck or an oil field truck...  10 gauge is about 1/8th inch (over on a boat building forum we just had a lengthy discussion on Imperial vs metric).  12 gauge is considered "heavy", 14 is acceptable for horse trailer repair (the front curved part just above the floor rusts out).  I have heard modern auto body work trashed as being 22 or 26 gauge (probably 26 or 28 by now) but I do not actually know that to be true, besides those panels are all curved and bent edges.  If you can make grooves / ridges in it for strength then think 16 or 18.  How wide of a span without support is also a factor obviously and a factor in "drumming".  If span seems to be "big", add some cross bracing and stay thin.  You can use a hand drill to make holes for "spot welds" but I took a bench mount drill press and cut down the post (and turned the drill head around) so I could drill below the intended drill travel.  Yes, these "toy" wire spitter welders are sufficient for you job if doing Thin  (but they are not good for much else except a tack to hold pieces until you do a real weld.  The set up using solid wire and CO2 bottle (small / cheap) is so much cleaner than flux core that you REALLY should go that route.   I have a friend in the ornamental iron / gates and gate art bidness and he uses TIG so he does not have cleanup.  You do not need to go that far.  Skip around (literally) all over the place with short welds and then 1/2 way between those spots after they cool and then 1/2 way between again and again .  People will be impressed with the job you did.  I assumed that if you are asking about gauge then you are not experienced in these matters...  I apologize if you were just looking to see what others think. .

Beg borrow or steal a Plasma cutter.  Use a straight edge or other guide and it will look like NASA quality work.   Maybe more than you were looking for?  Tio in Paradise on the Rio

Offline hwyman

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »
I do have access to a mig and the plan is to do something similar to your suggestion on how to weld the piece in so I am going to say I am on the right track with my plan.  Since my original post I found a source locally for the sheet metal and for a piece large enough plus a bit extra to do what I need is only a few bucks I will probably g with the 18ga.
I was hoping to get a few replies of I used "X" and it worked great.

I do not have access to a plasma cutter so all cuts will be with an angle grinder and cut off wheel and patience

1994 Geo Tracker  2dr 4wd 1.6l 8v Manual Trans

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »
18ga is about what you're replacing. I've used that and it works for that repair. When you're at the supply house, lay hands on the different gauges beforehand.

Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline TioPick

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 08:17:11 PM »
A reply I made did not post for some reason... like maybe I forgot to hit Post.  The short version of it is that you should look for a cut-off blade for a skil saw... usually a thin abrasive but sometimes they do have metal blades with teeth.  Again you can clamp a guide for straight cut.  Good Luck.  Lettuce know how it goes.  Tio