Hello Guest

Front differential clunks

• 4 Replies

Offline caranpaima

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Front differential clunks
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:37:41 PM »
Hello everyone.

I'm having this problem where something clunks under the car rather horribly when 4WD is activated; 2WD is fine. I've done some research in forums and the most likely problem is trouble with some worn out gears in the front diff. I was wondering if anyone has had any similar problem and how much did it cost to solve it (also, any help with the related part numbers would help).

In any case, would having a steel front axle avoid some of these future problems? See

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/1989-1998-suzuki-sidekick-tracker-steel-front-axle-upgrade-kax-csh.html

When asked if compatible with my car, Tylor Kinniard from LRO said:

That will work however if you have the air actuated 4 wheel drive you will need to weld the carrier engaged and convert to manual locking hubs.

Any opinions and advice would be much welcomed!

2005 GV!, TCase and Front Skid Plates; OME Suspension (rear shocks are Doetsch 3000); Low Range OffRoad 2.5" lift; Differential drop brackets;Panhard relocation brackets; Thule rack

Online fordem

Re: Front differential clunks
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
First a question - when you hear these "clunks", are you in 4WD on a high traction surface or in loose stuff?

If you engage 4WD on a high traction surface you will get what is known as "drive train windup" and at some point the free wheel clutch in the differential assembly will slip, in my mind, the sound it makes is not a clunk, but more of a bang, it sounds like you broke something expensive - if you do this consistently, the clutch teeth will wear and slip more frequently with possibly less force and less noise.

You should not be using 4WD on a high traction surface.

The fixes are to either weld the freewheel clutch engaged, at which point manual freewheel hubs should be fitted or replace the clutch, which is not supplied as a separate part of differential assembly - the steel axle will not solve the problem.  Cost will vary depending on how you approach the problem and what is available in your neck of the woods - free wheel hubs are available (in the US) for approx. USD$100/pr and the cost of disassembly and welding will vary.

Another option is to replace the differential assembly with one from an earlier model that does not have the air actuated freewheel clutch, but this requires some fiddling with the CV axles because of length differences, this is documented somewhere in the forum.

'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline caranpaima

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:54:36 AM »
Hello Fordem.

It is not a single sound. I first noticed the problem when in the middle of a puddle in muddy sand after I engaged 4WD. The best I can do to describe this sound is a series of clunks coming from below, not sure where but more towards the center-front. It is not a single "bang" like sound. As long as I keep driving in 4WD, the clunks continue; they are not VERY loud but not quiet either and not pleasant, that's for sure.

As for the manual freewheel hubs, in a previous (same model) truck I had I installed Warn Premium Hubs and was very pleased with them, as they do not rust outside like the AISIN did.
2005 GV!, TCase and Front Skid Plates; OME Suspension (rear shocks are Doetsch 3000); Low Range OffRoad 2.5" lift; Differential drop brackets;Panhard relocation brackets; Thule rack

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 11:40:40 AM »
It will bang (or clunk) repeatedly as long as you keep on stressing it, if it is the front differential, as I said your options are to weld the engaged or replace.

Incidentally there are (or used to be) pictures on the forum showing how to weld it - nprecon I think was the members name if you want to search for them
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline caranpaima

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 06:41:08 AM »
Finally had the time to take the car to a workshop.  It turns out that the chain of the transfer box had become (slightly) loose, so 4WD was not engaged properly. Had to change wheel bearings, gears and of course the chain. Now it works smoothly and noiselessly.