Hello Guest

What needed to bring Samurai back to stock height.

• 10 Replies

Offline ZukReynel

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
What needed to bring Samurai back to stock height.
« on: April 02, 2018, 06:38:24 AM »
Hello new to the site. I just bought a 86 Suzuki Samurai. Always wanted one but don’t know much about them. I believe the Zuk came from Arizona and was used as a off road toy in the desert. It supposedly has a 3 inch lift on it but the suspension is in bad shape, blown and broken shocks and other things.
 I will like to restore the height of the truck to stock height and will like to know what would I need to do so. Or maybe buy a smaller kit like a 1.5 inch lift instead. What do I need or what is recommended ?

Online fordem

Re: What needed to bring Samurai back to stock height.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 07:21:28 AM »
There are several different ways to lift a vehicle which makes it difficult for us to answer your question without knowing what was done - a few pictures of the suspension as currently fitted might help.

Assuming that there has been no cutting and welding, new springs & shocks from OME (Old Man Emu) might be the way to go.

Take a look at what Low Range Off Road has to offer, you'll see a bewildering range of options - that's just to give you an idea of how difficult it is for us to know what was done so that we can tell you how to undo it - and then look at the OME Dakar stuff - my guess is new springs & shocks, along with bushes, shackles & U bolts will sort you out.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline ZukReynel

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:03:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I do know their is some low range off road stuff welded there. Will try to get pics soon

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »
Well, I would say you need at least 1 new rear shock!  I imagine that thing makes a little bit of noise, doesn't it?
What size tires are currently on your Samurai?  What size are you wanting to run?
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline ZukReynel

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »
Well, I would say you need at least 1 new rear shock!  I imagine that thing makes a little bit of noise, doesn't it?
What size tires are currently on your Samurai?  What size are you wanting to run?
Yeah I can tell lol. That’s the obvious thing I know I gotta get. I’m planning on running regular size tires on it my Sami I gonna be for cruising that’s why I wanna get it to stock height. I’m thinking I get the stock leaf springs and the shocks, bushing set, new steering damper and new shackles and that would do the job right ?
How hard is it ? I’m no mechanic but if it’s not too complicated I like doing thinks my self.

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 06:29:38 PM »
I was hoping that someone with more Sami familiarity that I would have chimed in - right now the vehicle is "spring under" (the spring is under the axle), but it looks like at some point it was "spring over" because I can see LROR spring over axle pads at least on the rear axle, and the springs also look like they have more leaves than stock.  I can't see enough, and I'm not familiar enough with the suspension to tell you if anything else is non-stock.

The reason I suggested Old Man Emu springs & shocks is I doubt new stock springs can be sourced - the OME will also give you a moderate lift and a much nicer ride.

Swapping out the suspension is not difficult, any half decent "Saturday mechanic" should be able to manage - you'll need basic hand tools, a jack & jack stands - a propane torch or something similar, a saw and penetrating oil might also come in handy - the shackle bolts have a way of corroding into the bush sleeves.

You might also want to take a look at the steering linkage - check it for wear - and also the king pin bearings.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 05:48:59 AM »
So what size tires are on it currently?  Can you post a picture of the full vehicle, then we can see what the ride height is and work from there.
1995 Sidekick JLX
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline ZukReynel

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 09:58:48 AM »
So what size tires are on it currently?  Can you post a picture of the full vehicle, then we can see what the ride height is and work from there.

Tires are 205/70/15 all season tires

Offline ZukReynel

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 10:02:40 AM »

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 06:04:50 PM »
I am pretty sure that is original tire size...
I would start with a new set of shocks and replace worn steering components and see how it drives. Unless a leaf spring is physically broken, on a vehicle that light, they are probably ok.
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Online fordem

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 07:19:09 AM »
Unless a leaf spring is physically broken, on a vehicle that light, they are probably ok.

Whilst the springs may be physically in usable, even perfect condition, springs with excessive lift may/can/will create multiple undesirable issues.

This vehicle reportedly has a three inch lift, which seems to have been achieved through the use of stiffer springs - this much lift requires a change in either the mounting points of the shock or the shock itself for one with longer open/closed dimensions to avoid damage to the shocks, as has already occurred based on the pictures provided.

A three inch lift will also cause bump steer unless steps are taken to compensate for the angle of the drag link, and last but not least, springs stiff enough to lift a vehicle by three inches, as these appear to be, will result in a significantly less comfortable ride than, for example, a lighter spring "arched" to provide the same lift.

There are other potential issues to be dealt with - bump stops may have been extended, drive shafts may either have been extended or spacers installed, caster angle issues that affect steering stability are what come to mind immediately.

Yes - leaf sprung vehicles are easy to lift - but lifting them properly AND safely is another matter altogether, and the more lift you look for the more challenging it becomes to sort out the issues - returning the vehicle to stock height or a minimal lift can remove many of the problems.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny