Hello Guest

Notchy gear changer 2003 2.0 tracker help

• 8 Replies

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Notchy gear changer 2003 2.0 tracker help
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
Hi, just got a tracker and the shifter is a little notchy.  It’s especially noticeable coming out of 5th, like you kinda have to pull on it.  I changed oil today with redline MT90 and it seems to have helped a little, but still want a little more slick.  Anyone know a trick?  I will probably pull the shifter out and see what’s doing, but I can’t tell if it’s directly in oily land or if it’s one of the sort of “remote” mechanisms that might not get any oil and maybe has grease? 
Thanks. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Online fordem

Re: Notchy gear changer 2003 2.0 tracker help
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:43:01 AM »
It's a remote shift that extends back from the transmission over the transfer case.

In my experience it's not the "slickest" of shifters, especially if you're coming from a Japanese FWD "hot hatch", but, it's also not particularly notchy - it just requires a more relaxed shifting style, I can't say that I have noticed any difficulty shifting, as long as the clutch is disengaging properly.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
Cool that’s what I needed to know.  I’m thinking that lube isn’t getting back to the mechanism or maybe not enough. 

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
As far as I know the only lube in there is what you add when you assemble - gear oil doesn't circulate there.

There's a possibility that the #1 shifter boot (fits between the shift lever and the shift tower) has disintegrated and allowed dirt etc., in - the boot is not supplied separately, I've been using a cut down steering rack boot as a substitute.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Notchy gear changer 2003 2.0 tracker help SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 10:01:17 PM »
As far as I know the only lube in there is what you add when you assemble - gear oil doesn't circulate there.

There's a possibility that the #1 shifter boot (fits between the shift lever and the shift tower) has disintegrated and allowed dirt etc., in - the boot is not supplied separately, I've been using a cut down steering rack boot as a substitute.

Thanks for that.   Yes the inner boot has a small hole in it but it is otherwise intact.  Possible some crud got in there though.  I think I’ll pull the console and try to dig it apart to inspect and maybe slop fancy grease inside.  It’s mainly the 5th gear that’s super notchy but all others could use a little help too. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:36:30 PM by Phase change »

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
well i solves this issue.  If anyone wants to slick up the or shift this is what mine needed.  Ahead of the shifter tower on top of the trans there are three 17mm bold heads.  These are caps that hold down the springs for the detent balls.  Remove these springs.  I placed them all standing in a dish filled with water so the top 1/3 of spring was sticking up out of water.  Apply flame to the springs to anneal them.  Let air cool and reinstall.  Bam! The shifter is now much slicker and better feeling. 

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 01:38:37 PM »
It's a remote shift that extends back from the transmission over the transfer case.

In my experience it's not the "slickest" of shifters, especially if you're coming from a Japanese FWD "hot hatch", but, it's also not particularly notchy - it just requires a more relaxed shifting style, I can't say that I have noticed any difficulty shifting, as long as the clutch is disengaging properly.

I’d never be caught in a FWD.  hot or not. 

Online fordem

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 03:33:52 PM »
Unfortunately you're in a minority - FWD is the ...

I can't even say it's the future - it's here, it's now, whether you like it or not - the vast majority of current automotive production is now either front wheel drive, or front wheel drive biased all wheel drive - and it's been this way for close to two decades.  Honda CRVs, Toyota Rav4s, Nissan Rogue, even the bigger Nissan, the PathFinder is front wheel drive biased - yes, you can still buy a rear wheel drive Toyota Land Cruiser or 4Runner, and the Nissan Patrol, but for how much longer - just as IFS replaced the solid front axle and monocoque replaced body-on-frame - RWD is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, a niche market that few will be willing to pay the premium for.

Better hang on to what you have now.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Notchy gear changer 2003 2.0 tracker help solved!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »
Unfortunately you're in a minority - FWD is the ...

I can't even say it's the future - it's here, it's now, whether you like it or not - the vast majority of current automotive production is now either front wheel drive, or front wheel drive biased all wheel drive - and it's been this way for close to two decades.  Honda CRVs, Toyota Rav4s, Nissan Rogue, even the bigger Nissan, the PathFinder is front wheel drive biased - yes, you can still buy a rear wheel drive Toyota Land Cruiser or 4Runner, and the Nissan Patrol, but for how much longer - just as IFS replaced the solid front axle and monocoque replaced body-on-frame - RWD is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, a niche market that few will be willing to pay the premium for.

Better hang on to what you have now.
for sure.  I’m not going to go there.  I won’t participate in their budget minded engineering lol.  I have 4 cars.  The tracker, a F350, a Mercedes sports car, and a HMMWV.   The Hummer is AWD which is already weird, but I understand why they made them like that.  But I will never have a FWD.  I just don’t like how they drive.  I don’t like transverse engines either.  But hire right, definitely in the minority.  But that’s no new feeling for me. 
Lately with the new electric offerings I feel like I’m witnessing the end of an era where cars were powered by fire.  Soon all will be silent.  I’m actually not against that at all.  And I’d consider an AWD or RWD electric car for sure.  Biggest problem isn’t the fuel for me, it’s the complexity.  If I can’t repair it I just don’t feel like I should own it.   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:54:37 AM by Phase change »