Hello Guest

Help on installing a manual locking hubs on a 2001 Chevy tracker 4x4 needed

• 7 Replies

Offline Tikiguy

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
I like to add a manual locking hub on my 01 tracker. It has 26 spline axle shaft so I'm looking at warn 34581 hub. Has anyone done it and is it a bolt on/no mod involved addition/just remove the factory drive flange and bolt on the warn locking hub kind of job? ANy recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Online fordem

It's a straight forward unbolt the one and bolt on the other - I didn't use Warn, I used SuperWinch hubs, and my vehicle is not an 01 Tracker, but a 98 Grand Vitara.

Now when all of that is said and done, and the manual locking hubs are in place - you will still need to maintain the pneumatic freewheel mechanism in working order - removing that or permanently engaging it is another, somewhat more complicated task.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Tikiguy

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
It's a straight forward unbolt the one and bolt on the other - I didn't use Warn, I used SuperWinch hubs, and my vehicle is not an 01 Tracker, but a 98 Grand Vitara.

Now when all of that is said and done, and the manual locking hubs are in place - you will still need to maintain the pneumatic freewheel mechanism in working order - removing that or permanently engaging it is another, somewhat more complicated task.

Thanks. How is SuperWinch hubs performing so far? Are you satisfied with them and do you happen to remember the part number you used?
I have a Warn hub on my 95 Geo Tracker and they are flawless.

Online fordem

I used the SuperWinch #400538 - they have worked well and are trouble free, although the outside of the castings did become discolored & pitted very early on.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
The ones on my ford are pitted and corroded too.  I wonder if there’s some galvanic corrosion going on there between the coating and the base “metal”.

I used samurai hubs I found used on mine.  They required a little modification however. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Offline Tikiguy

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Another one I'm considering aside from Warn 34581 is Mile Marker 436 which comes with a stainless casing about same price range as SuperWinch 400538! Any one has experience with Mile Marker brand out there who can share the pros and cons?

Online fordem

As far as I'm aware the MileMarker and the SuperWinch hubs are identical and are made for both companies by AVM in Brazil.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Tikiguy

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
As far as I'm aware the MileMarker and the SuperWinch hubs are identical and are made for both companies by AVM in Brazil.
I decided to go with you on SuperWinch 400538. Like you said easy swap and the price is right compared to the rest. Just have to watch for surface corrosion. Thanks for your inputs.