Hello Guest

Tracker Winch Bumper pic

• 8 Replies

Offline nsrrider

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Tracker Winch Bumper pic
« on: July 19, 2018, 08:04:43 AM »
Could one of you folks post a pic or two of the winch-bumper arrangement on your Geo Tracker? Specifically, how the bumper attaches to the vehicle. I have a bumper that apparently came off a small Jeep and I am thinking of using my poor welding skills to adapt to my 95 Tracker. Thanks!! 

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Tracker Winch Bumper pic
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 07:53:36 PM »
I just looked and I don’t have any photos, but can get some in daylight tomorrow...I just used the factory mounting points to mount the bumper I built.  Now it is not a “winch” bumper.  But what I do have is brackets mounted to the bumper for my tow bar, and I have used that several times to drag the Zuk around with no adverse issues yet.  Now I am not super thrilled with just the 4 little factory bolts, and so I am looking at some other options for additional mounting and strength.
What style of bumper did you purchase?  That will definitely effect what you use for mounting.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline nsrrider

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 05:34:27 AM »
I just looked and I don’t have any photos, but can get some in daylight tomorrow...I just used the factory mounting points to mount the bumper I built.  Now it is not a “winch” bumper.  But what I do have is brackets mounted to the bumper for my tow bar, and I have used that several times to drag the Zuk around with no adverse issues yet.  Now I am not super thrilled with just the 4 little factory bolts, and so I am looking at some other options for additional mounting and strength.
What style of bumper did you purchase?  That will definitely effect what you use for mounting.

thanks Jolly....I was curious if the after market bumpers used anything other than the stock bumper mounts....I can get a decent looking aftermarket bumper for an older Jeep for half the $$ than the ones offered for the Tracker....was thinking I might modify it for the Tracker since I have access to steel and can weld. Basically I am after a winch-bumper that is not 800 LBS, looks good and might accommodate a relatively small winch for emergencies. I don't intend to do any extreme off-roading with it. Thanks!     

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:09:03 PM »
I used a Jeep cad file for mine.  But I made it in aluminum.  So it bolts on a bar I welded between frame ends. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 02:00:42 PM »
If you have access to tools and some fabrication skills, building a bumper is not that difficult.  You might also check out JCR off-road.  The sell precut DIY bumper kits for Jeeps.  Their XJ bumpers are close enough to the same width as a Track Kick they could be made to work quite easily.  Here is the picture of the bumper I built for mine.  I built it out of rectangular tubing with a receiver mount.  When I do finally buy a winch, I want to put it on a hitch mount so it can be more versatile than just on the front of the Zuk.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 03:49:30 PM »
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/d/sidekick-tracker-rear-bumper/6649308782.html

No affiliation but I saw this nifty rear bumper and you’re in Oregon.  If I didn’t just finish mine I’d snap it up.  I know, it’s not a front bumper, but it’s cool lol.
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Offline nsrrider

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »
I used a Jeep cad file for mine.  But I made it in aluminum.  So it bolts on a bar I welded between frame ends.

nice job

Offline nsrrider

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
If you have access to tools and some fabrication skills, building a bumper is not that difficult.  You might also check out JCR off-road.  The sell precut DIY bumper kits for Jeeps.  Their XJ bumpers are close enough to the same width as a Track Kick they could be made to work quite easily.  Here is the picture of the bumper I built for mine.  I built it out of rectangular tubing with a receiver mount.  When I do finally buy a winch, I want to put it on a hitch mount so it can be more versatile than just on the front of the Zuk.

thanks!

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »
Could one of you folks post a pic or two of the winch-bumper arrangement on your Geo Tracker? Specifically, how the bumper attaches to the vehicle. I have a bumper that apparently came off a small Jeep and I am thinking of using my poor welding skills to adapt to my 95 Tracker. Thanks!! 
Poor welding skills are ok to build a bumper, lots of places to practice and get better at it, and it is mostly lack of protection to your rig if it fails.  But when winching, you don't want your bumper flying off under a load.  Better to have it  bolted, or a competent welder make final welds.
That being said, my advise is to watch your approack angle.  Low bumpers that stick out make approaching larger obstacles on small tires a big issue.  Keep your bumper close and high.  Here is a vid. of my Tracker front bumper and issues of approach angle when I was running 30" tires.  Going through the Golden Crack empasiszes (towards the end) what it takes.  33 inch tires makes it lots easier, with the same bumper. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+tracker+poision+spider&view=detail&mid=A68B6CD624DC3FE5F9C1A68B6CD624DC3FE5F9C1&FORM=VIRE
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.