Hello Guest

sidekick sport issue

• 2 Replies

Offline pidder

• 88.5 samurai, homemade bumpers, rock sliders,spoa
sidekick sport issue
« on: January 28, 2019, 06:58:41 PM »
Hello everyone.  I just purchased a 1998 sidekick sport standard transmission.  I have found that when it is below freezing the transmission shifter is frozen and will not move. even with alot of effort.  I drained the tranny and t- case  thinking there was water in there freezing at the low temperature.  Does not seem to have made a difference. definitely temperature related as when I get home from work in the afternoon it is all loose  because it warmed up during the day.  This morning I wanted to drive it to work and couldn't.  Had to take my truck.  Anyone else ever encountered this problem?  I will remove the shifter this weekend if I get time and see it there is water up top in that area that could be freezing it solid.  Lets hear your experience.  thanks. 

Online fordem

Re: sidekick sport issue
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:01:17 AM »
I live in a "year round warm climate" so no personal experience, but I have heard of moisture freezing in the shifters before - there should be a rubber boot (the #1 shift boot) that sits between the shift lever and the neck of the shift tower to keep the moisture out, but these have a way of coming apart with age & time.  The boot is not available separately, but is only sold with the lever assembly - it can however be replaced with a section cut from a steering rack boot - if you need to do this, installing the replacement on the shift lever can be challenging because it sits in a narrow part of the lever (you'll see what I'm talking about when you take it apart) - lube it with dish washing liquid and gently slide into place.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline pidder

• 88.5 samurai, homemade bumpers, rock sliders,spoa
Re: sidekick sport issue
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:03:22 PM »
so when I got into the shifter tower I must have taken out over a cup of water.  when it got cold it would freeze solid so I couldn't move the shifter.  all good now.