Hello Guest

Engine shuts off while driving. Or when put into reverse. Electrical issue?

• 5 Replies

Offline blickbox

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
85 Samurai 1.0L.

1. Sometimes when turning the key to on, the dash lights won't turn on. If I try to ignite with lights off, it won't start, only starter motor running. So I have to fiddle a little bit, or try to on off again, and usually the lights will come on within a minute.

2. If I start the engine and put the gear into reverse, it will immediately shut off when lever reaches reverse position.

3. Sometimes when driving, the engine will also suddenly turn off. Then I have the same problem is in number 1 above - if I have lights on, I can immediately start it again with no problems. If no lights, I will have to wait until I get lights before it will start.

I feel these issues may have a common cause.

I have checked all ground connections in the engine bay.

Online fordem

The fact that the ignition lights are off when you cant start the car suggests the issue is electrical - you've checked the grounds, now you need to check the supply side.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline blickbox

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
The fact that the ignition lights are off when you cant start the car suggests the issue is electrical - you've checked the grounds, now you need to check the supply side.

Any suggestion on where to start? I know the battery have good voltage, but I don't know how to continue, and what the correct readings should be...

Online fordem

Now is the time to find an auto-electrician or perhaps a friend with electrical experience and the necessary tools & test equipment - electrical troubleshooting has it's own peculiar challenges & methods.

You can try Ack's FAQ for a wiring diagram, I know he has them for the 1.3's I don't know if he does for the 1.0's, you haven't told us where you are, but a US market 85 Samurai would have been a 1.3, not a 1.0, which could also be a problem when it comes finding a diagram that matches the vehicle.

Check your distributor, if it uses breaker points, check the ignition coil for a 12V feed, and if there is none work your way back to the ignition switch - the fact that you can crank the engine suggests there is 12V power to the switch, but it doesn't mean that the switch is feeding the ignition circuits when it should, if there is power on the ignition circuit at the switch, then the problem will be downstream from the switch, possibly a broken wire or intermittent connection, possibly near the fuse panel.

I strongly recommend you find either an experienced auto electrician, or someone familiar with the Samurais to help you.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline blickbox

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Now is the time to find an auto-electrician or perhaps a friend with electrical experience and the necessary tools & test equipment - electrical troubleshooting has it's own peculiar challenges & methods.

You can try Ack's FAQ for a wiring diagram, I know he has them for the 1.3's I don't know if he does for the 1.0's, you haven't told us where you are, but a US market 85 Samurai would have been a 1.3, not a 1.0, which could also be a problem when it comes finding a diagram that matches the vehicle.

Check your distributor, if it uses breaker points, check the ignition coil for a 12V feed, and if there is none work your way back to the ignition switch - the fact that you can crank the engine suggests there is 12V power to the switch, but it doesn't mean that the switch is feeding the ignition circuits when it should, if there is power on the ignition circuit at the switch, then the problem will be downstream from the switch, possibly a broken wire or intermittent connection, possibly near the fuse panel.

I strongly recommend you find either an experienced auto electrician, or someone familiar with the Samurais to help you.

Thanks for your reply.

I think the reverse stalling issue is solved. I think the clutch cable was too loose - I replaced it recently. Meaning, even with pedal completely depressed, the clutch was maybe not 100% disconnected. I tightened it, and it hasn't happened since.

Engine stalling while driving haven't happened either since i tightened the clutch cable, but that must be a coinsidence since I can't understand how that can be related to the clutch - since it happens while driving in gear?

Online fordem

Based on your first post, the scenario in your your third post would not be possible - if the dash lights are going out, then the engine isn't "stalling" - as a matter of fact, when the engine stalls, the dash lights come on - charge light, low oil pressure light ...

Also - if it stalls going into reverse because of a dragging clutch, it should stall going into first ...

We can only work with the information you provide ;)
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny