Hello Guest

Proportioning valve.

• 1 Replies

Offline greyowl07

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Proportioning valve.
« on: April 09, 2019, 08:36:01 AM »
I have a 1996 Suzuki Sidekick (JX, 4drs) with engine & A. transmission running great. A brake line connecting a brake hose to the proportioning valve (PV) began to leak. Tried to replace it with a new line but the new fitting (same size as the old) would not go in. To thread the new fitting I have to work under the jacked up truck with my back to the ground & pretty much feel my way in. Without a clear view its possible the fitting did not go in straight & I damaged the threads. Searched for a replacement part, contacting about 20-30 new/used auto parts but no luck. Seems like the solution now is to remove the valve & try to revive the threads. Has anyone tried this method of repair, or found a replacement part from another vehicle (different make) that might still be available on the new/used market. Thanks.

Offline greyowl07

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Proportioning valve.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:16:45 AM »
So this is how I did the repairs, just so if any one should have problems with brake lines connecting to the PV, the fitting could be seized in the valve & removing could cause thread damage. You need a 6 point 10mm line wrench. Unable to find one, I picked up a 6pt 10mm wrench & sawed a 1/4" section from the round end, just enough to slip over the brake line. This tool is essential. All brake lines were disconnected from the valve, the valve removed & all threads inspected & damaged threads repaired with a tap. From my experience, once a section of brake line is punctured due to rust, all brake lines must be replaced. The 2 rear from side to side, the 2 lines that run from front to rear, & the section that connects PV to front hose. Replacing the rear brake I found one of the cylinders leaking. Unable to find the part I purchased a comparable unit, removed the old seals & replaced with new ones. I cleaned the inside of the cylinder & used fine (400-800) sandpaper to polish. We have to be inventive now, as parts are being discontinued, becoming more & more difficult to find. Oh yes, make sure your hand brake is working properly & the brake line is in good shape. It has saved me more than once.