Hello Guest

Heater in trackicks

• 21 Replies

Offline Z3bra

Re: Heater in trackicks
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2004, 05:43:43 PM »
It's one of those things I should fix but I'm lazy about, if it was the other water temp sensor that is part of the EFI I'd fix it because of gas use, but this one's just the gauge in the dash.

Offline mavapa

• What, no personalized text?
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2004, 12:52:37 AM »
I forgot that modern cars don't have little shutoff valves on the heater core feed hose. I guess I was thinking of the old Triumph TR-3 we had when I was growing up. Under the hood it had what looked like a garden-variety faucet handle you had to open to get hot water to the heater core. If the water is flowing constantly to the core, then I guess the best way to check that is feel the return line. But, Z3bra, it sounds like you might be running kind of cool anyway, unless it's just the gauge.

Offline Z3bra

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2004, 01:27:38 AM »
Well, it's not like factory gauges are known for their accuracy on new cars.  As long as I've had it since rebuilding the engine it's pretty well stayed where it does while running for heat.  Last winter the heat worked better and the temp gauge still reads the same so I think it's probably one of the flaps in the heater box under the dash.  I was looking at the FSM last night and it shows two of them and I think one of them's not closing properly so it's diverting cool air past the heater core and out the vents.  Then again for the 5 bucks a t-stat costs might as well slap a new one in there anyway.

I love how the service manuals detail the procedure to boil a thermostat to see if it's working, why the hell would you want to go to that much trouble for a 5 dollar part? Throw a new one in and be done with it.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2004, 01:29:28 AM »
LOL, What he said  ;D
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Samurai_Hamster

• 87 Octane knocker of a motor.
    • Samurai Hamster
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2004, 02:53:47 AM »
I read a post somewhere that complained that Ford products gauges didn't show real time information. That is, so long as the parameters for the input was ok, the gauge would sit somewhere in the middle of the "normal" area.
My gauge does just that most of the time but last Sunday, it was bitter cold out and I went to the cheapo bread store for mygoodies. I left the thing running outside with the heater fan on high, I had probably driven maybe 4 miles to get there.  I was in the store for about ten minutes or so and when I came out the temp gauge was down 1/4 of theway from where it normally sits.  And the air temp was a bit cooler than normal from the heater.
I began driving back home and by then the hamster under the hood was good and warm. I let it sit outside for 15 minutes idling in 7 degree weather with fan on high and the temp gauge stayed in its usual place.
That kinda makes me think these gauges read real time rather than just sit there showing "normal" when it might not be normal engine temp.
The Zuke is on its way out.  Getting a vehicle that will behave and be supported by the dealer.

Offline mavapa

• What, no personalized text?
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2004, 02:59:47 AM »
Gauges? Ha! My VW tdi temp gauge is like an idiot light with a pointer. Once it's warmed up, it stays in the same place unless there is a serious overheating problem. It is apparently designed that way.

Offline Z3bra

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2004, 06:16:00 AM »
Gauges? Ha! My VW tdi temp gauge is like an idiot light with a pointer. Once it's warmed up, it stays in the same place unless there is a serious overheating problem. It is apparently designed that way.

Same thing on my wife's Passat.

It's just to avoid whiney people coming in for service all the time.   The "sweet spot" covers a wide range but if it gets too high it will go over that which basically is like you said, an analog idiot light.