Hello Guest

Calmini Limited Slip Differential

• 3 Replies

Offline ZukkinMad

• Whatcha Waiting For?
Calmini Limited Slip Differential
« on: October 28, 2003, 08:04:36 AM »
Has anyone been using the Calmini limited Slip Diff, and can tell me how it has worked for them. I like that they dont put as much strain on your drivetrain as with the lockrite & detroit locker, and u also dont have that annoying clicking when the locker engage and disengage.

But you guys knows whats best, so give me some advise.

ZukkinMad >:(
1994 4dr Kick, Calmini 2' suspensin lift, RRO Coil Spacers front & rear, 2" RRO Body Lift, Super Swampers TSL SX, 15 x 8 black rims, calmini header, dynomax super turbo muffler & accel super coi

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
Re: Calmini Limited Slip Differential
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 08:33:37 AM »
I ran the limited for about a year and a half. It is smoother but for off road situations where you are picking a tire it still isnt a locker. In the snow and sand it worked great. I can vouch for the fact that its indestructable. :P

Mike
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline tonka-toy

• tonka
    • tonka-toy
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 07:50:33 PM »
i just fitted front and rear lsd's from a 94 x-ec vitara. :o
rare as rocking horse poop but i will let you know how they fare when they get a pasting this coming weekend.
i only know of 2 trucks that have these fitted as a modification for off road  8)
tonka-toy ;)

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 12:45:26 AM »
Has anyone been using the Calmini limited Slip Diff, and can tell me how it has worked for them. I like that they dont put as much strain on your drivetrain as with the lockrite & detroit locker, and u also dont have that annoying clicking when the locker engage and disengage.

But you guys knows whats best, so give me some advise.

ZukkinMad >:(

I've run the Limited Slip in the front of the Sidekick when it was IFS. Honestly, I did not like the way it worked. I think it created more bounce and stress on the front end and broke more parts than using a locker. I remember times when climbing up loose rock/mud/dirt hill climbs that the front end would bounce so much it looked like I had air bags or hydraulics on it!

On the trail, let's say you put a front tire on to a large rock that you need to climb over. If you're other front comes off the ground the LSD will have minimal effect. It'll kind of kick and sputter and bounce as it looks like your trying to get friendly with the rock to outsiders. You make it work better by applying some brake pressure which will help the LSD engage better. This inhearently puts more stress on you and the drivetrain.

My vote would be go for the locker. The performance is better off-road and, I feel, that it is easier on the components.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!