Hello Guest

Low Range Lift and Positive Camber Problem. Why?

• 6 Replies

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Low Range Lift and Positive Camber Problem. Why?
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »
Today, I had a 4x4 shop install my 2" spacer lift on my 2002 Chevy Tracker. Including camber bolts. Oversize struts are being used.
We have a major positive camber issue (tops of tires tilted out), AND, strut to knuckle interference (they hit each other).

Why is this??  Are these spacer lifts prone to camber problems and knuckle interference?
My shop has done various lifts in the past (for me) and know their stuff. What are we missing? I will have pics tomorrow. It was supposed to get aligned tomorrow but I will have to reschedule.
I will have eyes on it tomorrow.

Whats up with this, is this always an issue when strut & spacer lifting? Are control arms the only fix?
TIA
'02 Chevy Tracker 2.0 4wd 4dr

Online fordem

Re: Low Range Lift and Positive Camber Problem. Why?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 06:55:54 PM »
Changing the ride height on vehicles with macpherson strut suspension will generally cause camber to change, but, interference between the knuckle and the strut is something that I would have considered as impossible, that is, assuming the installer knows what they are doing - the strut bolts to the knuckle in two places, so, assuming that the correct strut is being installed, it will only contact the knuckle where it is bolted to it.

Just so you're aware of it, Low Range Off Road has downloadable installation instructions on their website, so you can download them and verify that the work has been done correctly.

Back to the camber - lowering the vehicle will cause it to go negative, lifting will cause it to go positive, a two inch lift on one of these will generally not cause enough of a camber change that it cannot be corrected using camber bolts.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:42:54 PM »
Thanks Fordem. They have the install instructions as I printed them out and handed to them. And they wanted them. I have the oversize Doetsch struts - pretty large struts. I will eyeball with the shop first thing tomorrow on whats going on. It has the camber bolts installed. Something odd is going on, like something flip flopped? Or the wrong struts? We'll see.
He says the car sits level but the tire tops tilt out badly. Not right.

Offline z28jeff

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 11:37:07 AM »
I used the same spacer lift kit a few years ago on my last Tracker (an 02 4 door ZR2). I did have positive camber issues as fordem explained is to be expected. Even with the correction bolts installed, I still had 1 degree positive camber, which is within factory spec. To get it any better, I would have had to slot the strut bolt holes.
I never had any fitment issues with the struts, but I used KYB struts. 
2003 Tracker 4 door 2.0 auto
2013 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD
2002 Corvette Z06

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 01:18:04 PM »
I have the oversize Doetsch struts - pretty large struts.

Doetsch struts or Doetsch shocks?  I know that Low Range offers Doestch shocks with their lift kits, but I'm unaware of a Doetsch strut that fits these vehicles.  I haven't used the Low Range kits or the Doetsch shocks, as I'm running Old Man Emu, which did come from Low Range, the OME shocks are significantly larger than the OEM Suzuki, but I've had no issues with them fouling the mounts.

Maybe they installed the camber bolts backwards - so that they push the camber positive rather than negative - a mistake that's fairly easy to make (go ahead, ask me how I know this ;))
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »
Ok my lift is done and aligned. I have about the same positive spec on camber as Jeff states. My suspension needs to settle over time and re aligned for maybe closer to 0 degree camber (1.8 positive now). We'll see how that goes. And yes the struts & knuckle do touch, even as Low Range explains. My shop did right.
According to Low Range the (yes) Doestch struts are even beefier the OME, with more current settings (supposedly). The rear shocks are Pro Comp.
I put 1" spacers all around also which fills in the wheelwells decently with the stock appearing 22/75 tires.
And photobucket is down lol.  :-[

Offline OldBlue

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 02:21:29 PM »
From the rear qtr...