Hello Guest

built tough roof rack?

• 8 Replies

Offline zukitrail

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
built tough roof rack?
« on: April 09, 2019, 12:03:53 PM »
Can someone school me on these factory roof rails? I'm looking to buy a sidekick pre 98 and i'd really like to find one with these rails. I think they look much beefier than the standard JLX rails. But I cant find out anything about them. What year, make or model they cam on. My guess is they were an upgrade option or something like that, dealer add on maybe. Can they be bought aftermarket?
I did a search for this all over google and this forum and didnt find an answer.

Thanks

Offline rusty but trusty

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: built tough roof rack?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 10:29:01 AM »
Been looking for the same answer! Got tired of searching and bought a rack at the junkyard off a Ford Exploder and cut down the width of the bars to fit. Looks completely stock.  Been contemplating pulling a rack off a new Subaru for my 96 4 door Tracker.

Offline rusty but trusty

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 04:37:28 PM »
Not sure if this pic will attach or not, but here is my Labor Day project. Roof rack from Ford explorer ($13), mounting hardware ($6), roll of double sided tape ($6), basket from Harbor Freight ($91). Roughly 2 days for the complete install.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 04:52:45 PM »
Looks sharp.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 10:29:08 PM »
Explorer rack looks good. I cut and welded up a xterra roof rack to fit. In the process of drilling a few holes and ill take some pics. Posted the rack right off the xterra on the sidekick. Just needed to be shortened and took some length off the main bars.

Hard for me to drill the holes. I want to water proof it and not have bolts thru the headliner. I went with some plus nuts. Low range offroad has a YouTube video of one jack nut holding 500lbs.

https://youtu.be/fdnuMrTyXAo

Figured the plus nut is more low profile and spreads out further than the jack nut.

Offline rusty but trusty

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 12:03:36 PM »
I looked at a roof rack from an X, thought it might be too big.  I cut 2.75" off the cross bars.  I ended up reusing the same 20T torx head screws from the Explorer.  Removed the headliner first.  Drilled my holes and used rubber grommets, then inserted the screws thru the grommets.  Used a washer and nylon nut on the bottom side, this smashed the rubber grommet flat.  I put a small bead of silicone in the hole before inserting the screw all the way down.  Used a Dremel with a cut off wheel to remove the excess threads.  Reinstalled the headliner. All the mounting hardware is hidden above the headliner. It is completely water tight.

Was wanting to experiment with using an Xterra center console, but I think the armrest would be too far back.  The extra cup holders and storage under the flip up armrest would be perfect.  I may go back to the junkyard and test fit it for shits and grins.   

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 05:44:22 AM »
When I get home from vacation I am planning to pick up a parts rig that has the same rack as the red Kick.  It is not a JLX, maybe just a JL?  I will post pictures of it when I get it home.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 12:35:10 AM »
Wow did i get lucky i just scored a oem roof rack from a sidekick. I was on Facebook marketplace and i figured just search sidekick and few pages down i found one with a oem rack. Ended up sending them a message and it was |removethispart|@dr_z_fabrication , he makes parts for Suzuki's and has a few modded . This rack was on his sidekick for almost
300k miles.

I have a xterra rack i cut and welded also a chevy blazer roof rack i would sell. If you are interested dm me.

Offline rusty but trusty

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
I am truly jealous! Haven't been able to find anything like that around here. I usually look at CL a few times a week keeping an eye out for Sidekick or Tracker parts.

Nice score!