Hello Guest

02 gv keeps breaking front cv joints after a 2 in suspension lift was installed

• 12 Replies

Offline Joshsauto

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
I have a 02 gv I can't seam to keep front axles in it after putting a 2 in suspension lift on it it was supposed to work with the factory axles any suggestions on a remedy for this problem

Online fordem

Where did you get the lift from?  Have you asked the supplier why the axles break?  Did the lift include front differential drop mounts?  Which part of the axles are you breaking?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Joshsauto

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Where did you get the lift from?  Have you asked the supplier why the axles break?  Did the lift include front differential drop mounts?  Which part of the axles are you breaking?
Motofab lifts it did not include diff drop mounts I keep breaking the outer joint mostly on the passenger side only if I drop off in a good rut where it's fully flexed I've tried finding axles a little longer to compensate for the lift but haven't had any luck I've always had a jeep before but I really enjoy the gv I've just got a few bugs I can't seam to work out on the suspension I can't find very many parts for lifting this thing

Offline Joshsauto

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Motofab lifts it did not include diff drop mounts I keep breaking the outer joint mostly on the passenger side only if I drop off in a good rut where it's fully flexed I've tried finding axles a little longer to compensate for the lift but haven't had any luck I've always had a jeep before but I really enjoy the gv I've just got a few bugs I can't seam to work out on the suspension I can't find very many parts for lifting this thing

Any help on finding a lift kit that comes with everything you need to make it work would be much appreciated

Online fordem

Never heard of motofab before - but I see they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee - presumably you're not satisfied, have you contacted them?

I keep breaking the outer joint mostly on the passenger side only if I drop off in a good rut where it's fully flexed

What makes you think longer axles will fix it?  Will that change the drive shaft angle when it's fully flexed?  What do you mean by "fully flexed" - full extension or full compression?  Have you considered the effects of a longer axle when the suspension compresses?

There are several companies that offer lifts, and are quite familiar with the Suzukis - low range off road for example.

I don't know which Jeep(s) you had, but they can be quite a few differences in how things are done - a GV has independent front suspension (as do some Jeeps), drive shaft angle becomes an issue when lifted, and the most common way to deal with it is to drop the front diff - it's usually not required on a two inch lift, but, is a motofab lift a two inch lift, or is it more?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline BRD HNTR

On my 93 Tracker 2" lift was where I started breaking CV joints at almost full extension especially when turning.. That is when you have the most angles on the CV's.  Two inch diff drop brackets stopped the hard angles and breakage.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Joshsauto

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Never heard of motofab before - but I see they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee - presumably you're not satisfied, have you contacted them?

What makes you think longer axles will fix it?  Will that change the drive shaft angle when it's fully flexed?  What do you mean by "fully flexed" - full extension or full compression?  Have you considered the effects of a longer axle when the suspension compresses?

There are several companies that offer lifts, and are quite familiar with the Suzukis - low range off road for example.

I don't know which Jeep(s) you had, but they can be quite a few differences in how things are done - a GV has independent front suspension (as do some Jeeps), drive shaft angle becomes an issue when lifted, and the most common way to deal with it is to drop the front diff - it's usually not required on a two inch lift, but, is a motofab lift a two inch lift, or is it more?
Have you ever looked at how a gv front diff is mounted

Offline Joshsauto

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
On my 93 Tracker 2" lift was where I started breaking CV joints at almost full extension especially when turning.. That is when you have the most angles on the CV's.  Two inch diff drop brackets stopped the hard angles and breakage.
Thanks but evidently I don't know where to look to find these brackets for a gv

Offline Joshsauto

• ZUKIWORLD Online!

Any help on finding a lift kit that comes with everything you need to make it work would be much appreciated
I
Have you ever looked at how a gv front diff is mounted

Offline Joshsauto

• ZUKIWORLD Online!

Its actually a inch and a half in the front and two inches in the rear the first thing that happens is the front diff housing breaks unless you take thd inner tripod apart and do some polishing on it I'm sure I'm not the first one with this problem I'm just trying to find a lift kit that will work if you don't know of one that's fine but a axel a quarter of a inch longer would solve the problem surely somebody makes a different axel for this vehicle

Offline Joshsauto

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Its actually a inch and a half in the front and two inches in the rear the first thing that happens is the front diff housing breaks unless you take thd inner tripod apart and do some polishing on it I'm sure I'm not the first one with this problem I'm just trying to find a lift kit that will work if you don't know of one that's fine but a axel a quarter of a inch longer would solve the problem surely somebody makes a different axel for this vehicle
A longer axel won't change the angle but it would keep it from pulling apart
I have not contacted motofab but I got what I paid for I'm trying to find something different that will work with the vehicle

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
I have the motofab 2” on mine and no problems, no diff drop.  Sorry that’s not much help, other than it let’s you know that it isn’t all lifted gv (although mine is a tracker)
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Offline Joshsauto

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
I have the motofab 2” on mine and no problems, no diff drop.  Sorry that’s not much help, other than it let’s you know that it isn’t all lifted gv (although mine is a tracker)
thanks I made some brackets to drop my front differential a inch so far I haven't had any more axle trouble but this weekend I really get to test it out