Hello Guest

Can I spray 2K clear over a Duplicolor base coat?

• 4 Replies

Offline RalphARoni

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Can I spray 2K clear over a Duplicolor base coat?
« on: November 28, 2019, 08:41:43 AM »
Can I spray 2K clear  over a Duplicolor base coat without compatibility problems? I know to let the base cure for a week first. I would use the Duplicolor clear but I have seen what chemicals will do to it.
'96 Geo Tracker 2 dr auto 4wd 15" wheels, 23" tires, named "GT" and towed behind the motorhome

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Can I spray 2K clear over a Duplicolor base coat?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »
Are you trying to keep the color?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline RalphARoni

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 07:02:39 AM »
Are you trying to keep the color?
Not sure what you are asking. Sorry.. I hope to keep the hood the same color and just sand the bad clear then use 2k. That would work but I am afraid that I will need to go down through the existing black color (not original) and repaint with a matching duplicoloer (acrylic lacquer) and clear coat. I wonder if I can use 2k as the clear for durability and solvent resistance or whether I have to use the Duplicolor for clear. It doesn't need to be perfect but I'd like it to look pretty good. Hope that answers the question.
'96 Geo Tracker 2 dr auto 4wd 15" wheels, 23" tires, named "GT" and towed behind the motorhome

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
Are you using a 2 stage base coat?  If you are using a single stage base, not really sure.  I would discuss with your paint supplier...
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline RalphARoni

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 06:55:30 AM »
Can I spray 2K clear  over a Duplicolor base coat without compatibility problems? I know to let the base cure for a week first. I would use the Duplicolor clear but I have seen what chemicals will do to it.
:laugh: Advance Auto doesn't know anything about the rattle cans.