Hello Guest

Identify this T-case

• 4 Replies

Offline Stormrider51

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Identify this T-case
« on: August 11, 2018, 10:02:29 AM »
I recently bought a 1987 Samurai that came with some extra items.  One of them is a transfer case. I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly what I have in terms of gear ratios.  Here's some photos.

Online fordem

Re: Identify this T-case
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:53:48 PM »
Have you considered counting how many turns of the input flange give you one complete revolution of the output flange?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Stormrider51

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 04:51:57 PM »
Have you considered counting how many turns of the input flange give you one complete revolution of the output flange?

Well, no sir I hadn't thought of that.  When it comes to being a mechanic I was a pretty good paramedic.  Retired from that now too.  Anyway, when I tried turning the flange that is opposite another flange the ratio appeared to be 1:1.  The other flange (didn't know they were called that either) rotated faster but I'll need better light to try to determine by exactly how much.  I was hoping there was some visible difference in configuration or that the numbers it's stamped with told the tale.  Thank you for your help.
John

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
The flanges that are "1:1" will be the front & rear output, and the one that turns faster is the input - and the real reason I'm suggesting you count is that the internals may not be original - there are at least five possible gear sets that could be inside the case.

Here's a link to LowRangeOffRoad's webpage that shows the gears they offer.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-off-road-parts/samurai/transfer-case.html
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:04:28 PM by fordem »
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Stormrider51

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
The flanges that are "1:1" will be the front & rear output, and the one that turns faster is the input - and the real reason I'm suggesting you count is that the internals may not be original - there are at least five possible gear sets that could be inside the case.

Here's a link to LowRangeOffRoad's webpage that shows the gears they offer.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-off-road-parts/samurai/transfer-case.html

Thank you.  The Sammy came with a pile of extra parts.  Low Range roll cage (never assembled), t-case, t-case bracket/skid plate, heavy duty tie rod, and some other pieces. The previous owner planned to make it into a rock crawler. He got as far as putting on a header, big tires, and a lift kit.  I will use it to get me around the lake to go fishing and don't want or need the other stuff.
Thanks again,
John