Hello Guest

FALL CLASSIC 2018 - NOVEMBER 16TH - 18TH --- ROLL CALL , WHO'S IN? ---

• 35 Replies

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Greetings! - It's time to plan out our activities for this year's event. Please take a look at the previous decade plus worth of stories found at our home page for background if you are not familiar. I'm thinking of a couple of different activities this year and would like to get opinion.

ALT A - Do a sight seeing weekend as previously done (pick destinations, go there)
ALT B - Focus on the A7 Plane wreck and center around that possibly picking up camp and having two sites instead of Base Camp.
ALT C - Use the way points from this year's Gambler 500 Devil's Starfish rally and do that as a group.
ALT D - Employ Gambler-esque techniques to do the "Milkshake 250" rally challenge that I've / We've been kicking around for years.  (Rally to Fields Station, navigational challenge)
ALT E - Add a relay race at camp for Friday night on mini-bikes.

Please share ideas, let's get the discussion going!

Thanks, Eric
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:54:56 PM by ebewley »
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline RangerRick

• Be Prepared - Be Prayerful - Be Thankful
Re: FALL CLASSIC 2018 - NOVEMBER 16TH - 18TH
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:47:54 PM »
I think I would like to do anything on the list. I have some friends over here that would like to come out and attend the event if that is possible. I have not been trailing in years .I retired from Uncle and would love to get back in to off-roading.. Hope to hear more soon.
Best Regards,
Ranger Rick
North Idaho
Bonner County Search and Rescue
Be Prepared - Be Prayerful - Be Thankful - You are an American

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
Hi Rick - I'm happy to see that you're thinking about joining in our event, I saw that you posted another more question related post in another section. I'll hit most of those questions here and would encourage you to look for the section on the Fall Classic. there is a "what this is about" thread that has links to several trip reports that can give you the flavor of it... For me the first and foremost has always been for this event is low key and fun. In the beginning, this was the end of the season event meant to have less form, less structure, and be more of a hang out; do interesting things vs. structure, schedules, etc. (albeit some years have definitely had more structure and form)  With that in mind, this is really a gathering of outdoor enthusiasts to share their zeal for all things Suzuki.

OK, for the questions... 
1 - no costs to attend, you will want money to be self-sufficient (Self-sufficiency is key for this activity)
2 - We have in the past met up and then caravan into camp. The last few years we have not done that but if you have a group, I can arrange something to make that happen
3 - Weather is completely out there! We've had weekends in the 60's and times when it's been below freezing all weekend. Snow for sure?, Rain very possible.
4 - It'd be wonderful to meet some fellow Idahoans. One thing that we ask is that people don't bring motor homes, camp trailers, and haul to the camp... But to help facilitate longer travel people, I"d suggest hauling to LaPine, OR unloading there and using that as a base camp then driving into the wilderness with your camp gear etc. on your Suzuki. This is a OHV friendly town with Hotels, restaurants, Gas, Groceries, etc..
5 - Fuel is fairly easy. 200 mile range and we go by gas stations a couple of time during the weekend.
6 - Food, we'll do a pot luck one night, a couple of restaurants are about 6 miles away in a very, very small town call Ft. Rock. for one night, All the rest is on one's own.
7 - Sleep in tents, vehicles, hammocks, We'll base camp so there won't be a need to pack up. It does get cold at night.
8 - Comms, we use FM radios and the MURS channels if someone in your potential group has a CB, rip it out of there rig, toss it into a garbage can and get them to buy a FM radio. :)
9 - Medic, yes we have one, sometimes two medics, plus several that are trained as part of their employment. Bring a trauma kit if you have it just in case.
10 - What do you need vehicle wise? To be very honest, a stock 4x4 Suzuki will have no trouble most years. One thing I can't stress enough is this statement and philosophy of an adventure event. We are here to go places, see things, experience the outback, and do unique stuff. None of that has to include hard, impassable obstacles. If something is too difficult for the group or an individual, we go around and find another way. Having said all of that, sometimes the weather makes travel hard and sometimes there is some cool wheeling to be had on the way to a point of interest that lures us in and we partake in difficult wheeling situations.

I was at a Zukimelt in Indiana once, it was cool, large, confined to an offroad park, and quite organized. Except for the cool part, the Fall Classic is not like that at all. :)  We enjoy each other's company and have fun... That's it really.

Check out some of the stories to get a flavor...

Hope to see you and your wheeling buddies there. Remember it's the weekend before Thanksgiving.

-Eric

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:16:32 PM by ebewley »
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
ROLL CALL! Please reply to this post with your name, from, and what you'll be driving if you're planning to attend. We'll do a activity voting session soon (like previous years) to decide on the fun things we'll do. I've has some conversations with some of you about the mini-bike race/rally/challenge/goof and it seems to be a popular idea.

Ok, who's in?

1 - Eric Bewley / Bend, Oregon / Samurai
2 - Richard Thomas / Galveston, TX / Sidekick Sport
3 - YOUR NAME HERE!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:30:36 PM by ebewley »
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Re: FALL CLASSIC 2018 - NOVEMBER 16TH - 18TH --- ROLL CALL , WHO'S IN? ---
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 01:54:24 PM »
Eric,

Richard Thomas / Galveston, TX / Sidekick Sport

I am interested in this year's event.  I know I am always interested, but have only made one event.  The Milkshake sounds great idea, even though my stiff suspension will be brutal on me.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 04:31:24 PM »
Yay! Our first 'official' victi... I mean participant. Welcome Richard, we'll have a great time.

:)

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline RangerRick

• Be Prepared - Be Prayerful - Be Thankful
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 08:24:22 PM »
Hi Rick - I'm happy to see that you're thinking about joining in our event, I saw that you posted another more question related post in another section. I'll hit most of those questions here and would encourage you to look for the section on the Fall Classic. there is a "what this is about" thread that has links to several trip reports that can give you the flavor of it... For me the first and foremost has always been for this event is low key and fun. In the beginning, this was the end of the season event meant to have less form, less structure, and be more of a hang out; do interesting things vs. structure, schedules, etc. (albeit some years have definitely had more structure and form)  With that in mind, this is really a gathering of outdoor enthusiasts to share their zeal for all things Suzuki.

OK, for the questions... 
1 - no costs to attend, you will want money to be self-sufficient (Self-sufficiency is key for this activity)
2 - We have in the past met up and then caravan into camp. The last few years we have not done that but if you have a group, I can arrange something to make that happen
3 - Weather is completely out there! We've had weekends in the 60's and times when it's been below freezing all weekend. Snow for sure?, Rain very possible.
4 - It'd be wonderful to meet some fellow Idahoans. One thing that we ask is that people don't bring motor homes, camp trailers, and haul to the camp... But to help facilitate longer travel people, I"d suggest hauling to LaPine, OR unloading there and using that as a base camp then driving into the wilderness with your camp gear etc. on your Suzuki. This is a OHV friendly town with Hotels, restaurants, Gas, Groceries, etc..
5 - Fuel is fairly easy. 200 mile range and we go by gas stations a couple of time during the weekend.
6 - Food, we'll do a pot luck one night, a couple of restaurants are about 6 miles away in a very, very small town call Ft. Rock. for one night, All the rest is on one's own.
7 - Sleep in tents, vehicles, hammocks, We'll base camp so there won't be a need to pack up. It does get cold at night.
8 - Comms, we use FM radios and the MURS channels if someone in your potential group has a CB, rip it out of there rig, toss it into a garbage can and get them to buy a FM radio. :)
9 - Medic, yes we have one, sometimes two medics, plus several that are trained as part of their employment. Bring a trauma kit if you have it just in case.
10 - What do you need vehicle wise? To be very honest, a stock 4x4 Suzuki will have no trouble most years. One thing I can't stress enough is this statement and philosophy of an adventure event. We are here to go places, see things, experience the outback, and do unique stuff. None of that has to include hard, impassable obstacles. If something is too difficult for the group or an individual, we go around and find another way. Having said all of that, sometimes the weather makes travel hard and sometimes there is some cool wheeling to be had on the way to a point of interest that lures us in and we partake in difficult wheeling situations.

I was at a Zukimelt in Indiana once, it was cool, large, confined to an offroad park, and quite organized. Except for the cool part, the Fall Classic is not like that at all. :)  We enjoy each other's company and have fun... That's it really.

Check out some of the stories to get a flavor...

Hope to see you and your wheeling buddies there. Remember it's the weekend before Thanksgiving.

-Eric

Thank you Eric. I will put out the info to the group and she where it goes. Can you tell me the town we may meet at  /set up camp  at so I can do mileage and driving time.
Best Regards, Ranger Rick
North Idaho
Be Prepared - Be Prayerful - Be Thankful - You are an American

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
Hi Eric,

I've been kicking it around and talking with some buddies......

I think I'm officially at a spot where I can say "I'm in".

So: 
1. Joe Alonzo / Marysville Wa/ 87 Samurai with Off road Trailer  (2010 and 2016 alum)
2. Charlie Macdonald / Sherwood Oregon / 1972 Mercedes Unimog 404 :o  (supposed to be an adventure, right?)

Looking forward to it.
 Joe

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 05:45:21 AM »
ROLL CALL!

Please reply to this post with your name, from, and what you'll be driving if you're planning to attend. We'll do a activity voting session soon (like previous years) to decide on the fun things we'll do. I've has some conversations with some of you about the mini-bike race/rally/challenge/goof and it seems to be a popular idea.

UPDATED 13SEP2018 Ok, who's in?

3. Joe Alonzo / Marysville Wa/ 87 Samurai with Off road Trailer  (2010 and 2016 alum)
4. Charlie Macdonald / Sherwood Oregon / 1972 Mercedes Unimog 404
5 - YOUR NAME HERE!

Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 05:47:10 AM »
Hi Joe - glad to have you.. the 'Mog will be an attraction all by itself. :)

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I've been kicking it around and talking with some buddies......

I think I'm officially at a spot where I can say "I'm in".

So: 
1. Joe Alonzo / Marysville Wa/ 87 Samurai with Off road Trailer  (2010 and 2016 alum)
2. Charlie Macdonald / Sherwood Oregon / 1972 Mercedes Unimog 404 :o  (supposed to be an adventure, right?)

Looking forward to it.
 Joe

Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 05:49:02 AM »
Thank you Eric. I will put out the info to the group and she where it goes. Can you tell me the town we may meet at  /set up camp  at so I can do mileage and driving time.
Best Regards, Ranger Rick
North Idaho

Rick - you betcha, it's in my reply to you but to save some time LaPine, Ore is the best jump off point.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline Aduccini

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
I'm in got my Sami up and running. Havent done any long trips but it works great on the trails and is in good shape. I would definetly like to follow a group or someone out.

Aaron Duccini / Bend, Or / 86 samurai 3" lift 31x12.50

-Aaron
86 samurai

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 10:17:33 PM »
Brian and Gayle Bewley / Dallas, OR / 2002 Tracker.
 Hi Eric, Gayle and I are planning on attending this year.  Gayle's been battling a herniated disc in her back so high speed rallying probably wouldn't be the best. We're looking forward to seeing you guys again.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »
ROLL CALL!

Please reply to this post with your name, from, and what you'll be driving if you're planning to attend. We'll do a activity voting session soon (like previous years) to decide on the fun things we'll do. I've has some conversations with some of you about the mini-bike race/rally/challenge/goof and it seems to be a popular idea.

UPDATED 22SEP2018 Ok, who's in?

3. Joe Alonzo / Marysville Wa/ 87 Samurai with Off road Trailer  (2010 and 2016 alum)
4. Charlie Macdonald / Sherwood Oregon / 1972 Mercedes Unimog 404
5. Brian and Gayle Bewley / Dallas, OR / 2002 Tracker.
6. Aaron Duccini / Bend, Or / 86 samurai 3" lift 31x12.50

7. - YOUR NAME HERE!

Welcome to Aaron, Brian and Gayle.. Look forward to seeing you!

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »
Hey! Just added a Poll to gauge interest and select what we will do. Please vote if you are intending to go...

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online