Hello Guest

will jeep axles fit under my samurai?

• 12 Replies

Offline madbob

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
will jeep axles fit under my samurai?
« on: July 18, 2006, 07:10:56 PM »
I came across a good deal on a set of axles out of a grand cherokee.  are they a realistic option for an axle swap?  I know toyota axles are the popular switch, but I don't know how wide they are compared to the jeep axles.  any body out there smart on this stuff??

What caught my interest with the jeep axles, is they are both disk, have antilock brake sensors, and coil springs.

Offline CodeBlue

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Re: will jeep axles fit under my samurai?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 10:10:36 PM »
are the pumpkins in the right place? offset i mean

Offline madbob

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 05:00:34 AM »
on the jeep the rear is centered, and the front diff is on the drivers side/ opposite of the samurai.  so I guess I would also have to swap transfer cases to make that happen..... >:(

I just realized the rear pumpkin on the sammy is offset, is this also the case on toyota axles?

Offline locjaw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 08:37:03 AM »
toyota axles fit. grand cherokie does not :'(
jason
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline strvger

• Livin' on the edge... of the Great Northwoods !!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 06:24:27 PM »
if you must have "jeep" axles, try to find some very early 1950's CJ axles.  they were narrow and both front and rear were offset to the passenger side.  they should be dana 44 on the rear and dana 27 on the front.  if you get lucky, a military jeep of that vintage also has reverse shackles you might be able to swap over... not sure.  the D-27 front usually get a bad rap for being "weak".  but, i've had them in both Jeeps and Scouts and never had one give me any problems.  just the way you drive more than anything else.  any part can be abused to the point of breaking.
'91 tracker, 1.6 8v 5-spd, 1.5 in susp lift,  DT header and 2 in exhaust, 235/75 AT's on 15x7 Turbines, 1st prototype: Ibuiltbumpers.com trackick front bumper!,  other mods coming soon!

Offline purevil71

• Someday when I grow up, I wanna be hardcore too!!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 10:51:34 AM »
If there Dana 35's, go with Toy axles.  There stronger in stock fourm than the 35's.
Toy rear diff is centered too BTW....
88.5 Samurai
Balls Deep 4x4 & Off-Road
I-Zook Staff

Offline truckasaurus44

• I'm a new world Samurai & a Redneck nonetheless!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 01:49:27 PM »
The 1950's rear dana 44 (certain years had beefier 1 piece welded shafts which is what you should look for) combines with a later cj front d-30 could be a nice setup.  I'd upgrade the shafts and u-joints in the d-30 just for extra insurance.   

Offline Element

• LillyKicker
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:22:07 PM »
I am wanting a wider stance on my sami, would wheel spacers be worth it(cost is low and all)? What can you guys tell me about the toyota axels??? pricey? hard job? Where to look? ect ect ect
Jerry                                                               Member since:   May 14, 2006

zUkTAH
U4WDA

Offline purevil71

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 08:58:04 AM »
I am wanting a wider stance on my sami, would wheel spacers be worth it(cost is low and all)? What can you guys tell me about the toyota axels??? pricey? hard job? Where to look? ect ect ect

There's a write up on the front page of IZook right now (written by yours truly) that will give you a basic idea of the cost involved in the Toy axle swap.

The swap is pretty easy and about as straight foward as doing a SPOA.  The steering area is where most people have trouble.  All of your solid axle Yota's are a push/pull steering set up, so there's no just bolt on and go there.  You just about have to get some kind of aftermarket set up, and most are pretty pricy by Samurai pricing standards...lol

The toy axles are wider, and some guys go with a IFS rear Toy axle ('86 and up), and a solid front axle with either spacers, or a kit to make the front match the rear.  I'm running spacers on mine to help clear the 36" tires I have.  I had some rubbing issues, and the spacers were cheeper than new wheels.

Hope the little bit of info I gave helps.  Look around, there are several write ups on the Toy axle swap.
88.5 Samurai
I-Zook Staff

Offline Element

• LillyKicker
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 02:49:36 PM »
I am running 31s and just wanted a wider stance. I go not want to go any bigger in hieghth for what i use the sami for but a little wider would be nice. How do the spacers affect the ride? Will I break anything running them?
Jerry                                                               Member since:   May 14, 2006

zUkTAH
U4WDA

Offline holeypockets

• i think DENTS are pretty
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 05:30:49 PM »
if you change your transfer case you can put the cherokee axles in.  cause discs and coils would be nice,  except they might be stiff.
  some one mentioned spacers, heck yes its a good idea, a little spacer won't hurt anything,  it will actually inset your hubs so they're less prone to damage.
i just like dents, i don't know why.

Offline purevil71

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »
I am running 31s and just wanted a wider stance. I go not want to go any bigger in hieghth for what i use the sami for but a little wider would be nice. How do the spacers affect the ride? Will I break anything running them?

Some say they are hard on wheel berrings, but I never had a problem with them.  Just use loc-tight and make sure the lugs are nice and tight.  You would be amazed at the difference a inch on each side can make.
88.5 Samurai
I-Zook Staff

Offline Eltacos1123

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »
I HAVE A QUESTION WOULD A WHOLE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION AND TRANSFER PLUS BOTH AXLES FROM A JEEP CHEROKEE FIT IN A SAMURAI ????