Hello Guest

suzuki samurai half-cab

• 13 Replies

ben_unruh

suzuki samurai half-cab
« on: November 16, 2007, 06:26:17 PM »
I saw a suzuki samurai with a hard roof but it had a rear window and a back but it still had a pick up bed on craigslist
i thought that it looked sick but i havent been able to find any more of them. has anyone else heard of this, or was this coustom.  does any one have pics of more?
    _
 _/ |_
|_-_-_|
  O  O

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: suzuki samurai half-cab
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 10:10:50 PM »
They sold that version of the Samurai in Canada.  It was never imported to the United States by Suzuki.  They are pretty rare and you can import a used one from Canada - probably not from anywhere else without lots of paperwork...
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:16:36 PM »
They sold that version of the Samurai in Canada.  It was never imported to the United States by Suzuki.  They are pretty rare and you can import a used one from Canada - probably not from anywhere else without lots of paperwork...
No kidding? I thought it was an AfterMarket versoin of a hardtop (fiberGlass)?
Pics of a factory option. Please.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 10:28:09 AM »
Probably not a Samurai but an SJ413K, I've seen one somewhere   ::) ::)

Hint:

<---------------
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 10:32:06 AM »
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 10:37:18 AM »
Sold in Aus as the Stockman

Save to PC to get full size image.

ben_unruh

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 12:54:11 PM »
i wonder if it would be legal to like make your own

like atach the top and back of the cab of a truck and add it it to a sami

pershingd

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 05:51:51 PM »
As long as you make sure you have the necessary lights and mount the fuel filler securely, there should not be any problems in the US.

The only area I'd be concerned about is making sure to reinforce the cab because you will be hacking out a lot of structural rigidity of the body. Unless you have lots of experience with body mods, I'd consult with a body shop about how to remove the back half of the cab while keeping it structurally sound. You wouldn't want to accidentally roll it over and the roof collapse with you in it.

David

Offline john1974

• http://zuknation.net
    • Zuknation
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 08:18:38 PM »
Do some searches at various suzuki forums, a few cut the back off bring the tail gate forward weld it up and make a flatbed pick up, I have also see some use a tintop rear door as it fits up rather nice then welded in to make a cab.

John
 *Image Removed* [/URL]  *Image Removed* [/URL]

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »
The Canadian version is probably a SJ-410K instead of the SJ-413K.  You see them for sale now and then down in the States.  Saw a really nice one at the Goldendale rock crawl this year.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 05:23:46 PM »
I sure wish mine were a little half cab pick up. I'm always having to hook up my wu-tang trailer from harbor freight when I need to haul stuff. Sammys have pretty tough suspension anyways. I once hauled a but load of bags of premix concrete and a good 3 square of roofing shingle before I got the trailer. It hardly squated.

-Adam

If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 05:04:19 AM »
Do some searches at various suzuki forums, a few cut the back off bring the tail gate forward weld it up and make a flatbed pick up, I have also see some use a tintop rear door as it fits up rather nice then welded in to make a cab.

John

There are quite a few of those in the UK, often refered to as a Trayback. They aren't really long enough for a 'proper' pick-up bed. The factory pick up is on a LWB chassis but the bed is still only around 5ft long. Load capacity is rated at 1/2 ton. Suzuki made the mistake of adding the bulkhead right on the B pillar so the cab is rather small. The seats are fixed in place and the headrests are bolted to the bulkhead.

Offline chet

• Zuki time!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »
it could have also been the normal samurai with the factory 1/3cab top from Canada. the did this in the last two years they sold to get around the rear pass. roll over standard.
1991 4 door kick, 2" coil spacers, 30" Coopers, winch, locker, rust, dents, etc.

Offline andyt87

• I LPVE ZUKI WORLD!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 08:46:02 AM »
I have one of these pick up SJs sitting in my drive :-)

Brought it for £100 at the start of the year, so far ive done SPOA, changed the standard seats for buckets seats, put a samurai front end on so that the arches are slightly wider...

It has a pretty cool little roll cage in the back, was originally for a E30 BMW, but would you adam & eve it, its the perfect width for the sj!!

Have fitted a 1600 8v Vit motor (its all bolted in, just got to get around to wiring it in)

Thats as far as ive got with it so far, going traveling for the winter, so will probs finish it next summer...

oh, and i resprayed it in a wonderful bright white :-D I'll try and post some pics this evening if i remember
1988 SJ 413
1986 SJ 410
1992 Samurai Sport
1989 Santana 410