Hello Guest

88 Samurai build-up

• 161 Replies

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: 88 Samurai build-up
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »
Sad to hear about your Brother.  You will have to keep us updated on the Jeep build.

On your Samurai, for the front brake lines I used ones off of a Tracker/Sidekick front end.  A lot of extra length, then I just used zip ties to keep it from bouncing around.  You can see examples of it here and here.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »
I will defiantly keep the people who are interested in the jeep informed on whats going on with it.  Its already very well set up, aside from the semi beefed up front axle (Dana 35).

I have 18" braided SS brake lines, its just the way way run across the shock and down.  When a tire stuffs up into the fender it starts running into the brake lines.  I can just see in my mind the line snagging on one of the lugs and ripping off.  I think my plan of attack is going to be to re rout the line around the shock, then use a spring to keep some tension on it. 
Or just keep it in the same place and pin it up with a spring to keep it pulled away from the tire.

Thanks for the info and support.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline SNJSamurai

• Always have fun in life never know when it can end
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2009, 05:38:41 PM »
im def looking forward to see what happens to the jeep.

my brake lines rub the tire when the tire is turned in. i have braided steelline and it rubbed the coating off so i just got some regular automotive hose cut it down the middle and folded over the line and zip tied it in four places. 

i really dont thing the lugs will grab the line should just rub it
Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline Amilla

« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
Got a whole new chapter to my build!
Just picked up a 92 JLX Sidekick.  The Plan is to run the engine, transmission, and a cut down transfer case as my doubler.

Im also parting out this rig, so if someone needs something just let me know.

Amilla

Offline Amilla

« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »
Things have been slow going lately, very busy at work.  I have been getting more and more done every weekend.  Got the engine, transmission, transfer case, and all the wiring pulled out.

When I got the sidekick, I was just planning on pulling the motor out and dropping it straight into my samurai. After getting it out and taking a closer look at it...Looks like Ill be rebuilding it. :)

Transfer case is going to be sent off to Rock4x, to get cut down for use as a doubler.

Wiring is going to Trail Though to get altered.

Looking real clean.

A nasty mess of wires, and the reason its going to trail tough.

Transmission waiting to be pulled apart, cleaned and rebuilt.

Transfer case waiting to be mailed off.

I'm still not sure on what motor mounts to go with, the Petroworks mounts look nice but I'm not sure if ill have to lower my drive train.  Anyone have experience with these? Or have an idea?

Amilla

Offline Ramurai

« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2009, 11:39:27 PM »
Nice build, I am going for just about the same thing. Quick ? what back spacing do you have for your wheels, and do you like your LTB's?
Jake 87 Samurai, toyota axles, SPOA, Cal mini 3" lift, 5.29 gears, 35x12.50x15 KM2's

Offline Amilla

« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2009, 05:15:51 PM »
Its a 3.75" backspacing, just a stock offset for a Toyota.  Got them for free so i couldn't pass up the deal.  Plan on going to a 2" or 2.5" backspacing soon.

So far I do like my LTB's, Iv tried them out on rocks, mud, sand, and snow. They seem to tear it up in the rocks (I do normally air down), they aren't great in sand, they dig way to hard.  They do great in mud, and decent in snow.
It all just depends on how much you like the skinny pedal. ;D

Amilla

Offline Ramurai

« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2009, 11:06:49 PM »
I think I will go with 2" or 2.5" back spacing. Thanks for all the info. Keep up the great work.
Jake 87 Samurai, toyota axles, SPOA, Cal mini 3" lift, 5.29 gears, 35x12.50x15 KM2's

Offline Amilla

« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2009, 07:05:07 AM »
Little bit of an update.
Pulled the 1.6 apart and discovered that that head was no good.  The cam  journals look to have been welded and line bored.  To top it off, it looks like a 3 year old did the work. The cam was making contact at 1 and 6 so everything was all marred and chewed up.  Now in the process of looking for a new head.  Anyone looking to sell a 1.6 head ;D

Well ill have some more info a little later on, possibly some pics.

Amilla

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »
If it was an 8 valve I could help you.  But I just got rid of my previous 16v.  Are you still planning on doing the doubler setup?
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Amilla

« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »
Its all good, looks like i can get a used on through lowrange for $250 or a reman for $410.

Ya I plan on getting in touch with rock4x and getting a doubler in the workings.

Amilla

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »
Is that double similar to the Kicker3 setup?  Just don't recognize who Rock4x4 is.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Amilla

« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »
Ya its about the same as the kicker3.  I think the price may be lower, and the waiting time to get one is way less than OTT.  Iv heard nothing but good things about them.  Its also going to be amazing to have more gearing options, 6.5's are pretty limiting.

www.rock4xfabrication.com
This is the place that makes them, called a shogun doubler.  Its not listed on there site, but it its all over pirate4x4.com.
Here's a link to it if you want to check it out.

Amilla

Offline jrbblack93

« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2010, 03:16:40 PM »
Kind of off topic from my build, but we did spring over my buddies rig today.
Did it in about 5 hours, made everything.

Heres how she came out...

A lil flex

Red zuk green zuk

A little bit more of the same...

His zuk is an 88 sami, 29" super swamper's, 1.5" wheel spacers, 1" shackle lift, DIY spring over, and a hoss ass pirate flag!

Ill be working on my sami tomorrow, getting the shock hoops on and all that good stuff.

Amilla

Hey just wondering if you could put a thing up on how to do a SPOA conversion of his sammy.  I have an 86 sammy and i am really wanting to do a SPOA conversion.

thanks
Josh

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2010, 10:01:11 AM »
Khan_sultan did a nice writeup of building your own SPOA lift from stock parts:

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/general-suzuki-forum/basic-spoa-on-a-lwb-sj-413-using-stock-parts/
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing