We should create a FAQ for the GV\Trackers 99+

• 4 Replies

Offline r3cc0s

We should create a FAQ for the GV\Trackers 99+
« on: January 28, 2008, 12:41:20 PM »
I think it would eliminate all the threads relating to commonly known questions

I.E
235/75/15 fit stock...
Frame Rub will always be around due to length of "A" arm... accept it or get offset rims/spacers to help a "bit"

2" BL is generally max size, due to length of stock lines and for ease of shifter manipulation
3" Suspension is almost MAX due to rack and pinion steering geometry, and that anything over 2.5" should utilize front diff drop bracket to save CV angle

Stuff that can be swapped, such as
Wheel hubs from any previous generation track kick
3rd Members from Track Kicks required to fit 5.12 Gears in to existing anvil

that kind of stuff

Anyways... back to all that
I think I might be giving up on the whole GV/Tracker and just accept that, what I have done so far is about the most I can do...
I have since done:
2 1/2" Suspension Lift
2" BL
31 x 9.5 Tires on 3" offset wheels

I get Tire rub on the Frame... and it's a fact of life
Even Tacoma's going to a 33" tire will experience the same problem

We drive very light Suv's... which paired with a decent set of Mud tires are very capable vehicles even with just open axles

but because they are so light, we have to run the minimum tire PSI, as generally most tires we want to go oversized with (LT rated) are usually C to E ply
Because of the light weight of our trucks... on road handling is subjective... though safe, it's a bit more  white knuckle driving in bad winter conditons, especially with wide tires (even with my MTRs they are still hairy) going anything faster than 50mph

I really love our trucks, but I think I stated it's short commings:
A arm lenghts
Rack and Pinion Steering

Well and as I have the 2.0L, I have to say power

What I like..:
Lightweight and great footprint for wheeling
Great on gas, especially when wheeling (where big ole trucks can blow half a tank in a 2 hour session, I can just keep going and going)
Good approach/departure angles, especially with 31's and a lift and custom bumpers
Hard to get stuck, even in the muck... again thanks to it's lightness and decent gear reduction on the transfer case

Perhaps we should include... our experiences with Vendors such as Calmini, Rocky Road etc..
What works and what doesn't.....
you know all that fun stuff
03' 2.0L CAMI Tracker w/ 1.5" Front Spacers, 2" Rear Spacers, 1 & 1/4" poly-rubber rear spacer w/ hose clamps, Monroe Crown Vic interceptor rear shocks,1/4" bumpstop extenders, 1.5" strut Extenders, removal of sway bar and strut bar + plenty of cutting for 245/75/16 Goodyear MTRs

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
Re: We should create a FAQ for the GV\Trackers 99+
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:05:55 PM »

What I like..:
Lightweight and great footprint for wheeling
Great on gas, especially when wheeling (where big ole trucks can blow half a tank in a 2 hour session, I can just keep going and going)
Good approach/departure angles, especially with 31's and a lift and custom bumpers
Hard to get stuck, even in the muck... again thanks to it's lightness and decent gear reduction on the transfer case

other things to like versus the competition....:

More passenger/luggage room than a Jeep Wrangler.

Way more civilized than a Jeep Cherokee.

Better reliability than a Heep.

All things considered, cheaper to pick up second hand than most Toyotas.

More unique than Jeeps or Toyotas.
Great visibility in all directions....have you tried looking out of one of the new Xterras, or even worse an FJ Cruiser?  You can't see sh!#.  I don't know how people wheel in those things.  I'd want 4 spotters, at least!

Awesome frame that comes coated from the factory....mine still has no rust after 8 yrs!

Lots of nice 175-185 hp XL-7 engines out there waiting to be put into our trucks! (with little or no loss of fuel economy!)  Makes me drool thinking about it.....can't wait to do the swap when my engine eventually craps out.....then again, I might be waiting for a while.  150,000+ and still going strong....really strong! ;D

I have since done:
2 1/2" Suspension Lift
2" BL
31 x 9.5 Tires on 3" offset wheels

You still have some room to grow.....the Lock-Right makes these things sick when it comes to traction.  And, if it's a manual you might be able to order a stronger clutch (I have a SPEC Stage 3+ sitting here waiting to be put in when mine goes).

A hardcore rockcrawler the GV ain't.....but it's got some good things going for it for medium duty action.

1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline r3cc0s

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 10:38:03 PM »
all in all, this vehicle is a good evolution from it's previous generation of track/kicks

but... belive me
I'd rather be driving in a Grand Cherokee or newish gen 4 Runner or Path Finder on those rough conditioned days out here
(-54 w/ black ice on the road... 40mph winds + blowing snow banks on the roads)

I am actuality contemplating, picking up a 98ish Range Rover Defender
03' 2.0L CAMI Tracker w/ 1.5" Front Spacers, 2" Rear Spacers, 1 & 1/4" poly-rubber rear spacer w/ hose clamps, Monroe Crown Vic interceptor rear shocks,1/4" bumpstop extenders, 1.5" strut Extenders, removal of sway bar and strut bar + plenty of cutting for 245/75/16 Goodyear MTRs

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:48:20 AM »
Wheel well opening are tight, and are a main reason larger tires can't be fitted.

A 3" BL is very do-able.  I have a Calmini GV 3" BL, but requires a new strut truss, making the kits cost too high.

Losing the shiit-on-the-fly ait diff is not for the weak of heart.  Losing the soda can front housings is a costly endeavor.  Anvils don't fit GVs or XLs, so finding steel factory units is the only answer.

Manual GVs and XLs can't use crawler gear sets.

The GV's rear axles are anemic.  The shaft is thicker than a D44, but pencils down to the puny 1.08" diameter 26 spline.  With low gears, crawler t-case and a locker, they snap off rather easily. XL rear axles are beefy, but no locker app other than welding is available. 

The 2008 XL7's 3.6-liter V6 DOHC engine (252 horsepower with 243 lb.-ft. of torque) would be REALLY nice, but seems difficult to swap in.  I'd rather it in my Sammy. ;)

I did some impressive stuff in my GV, and quite a few trails in Moab that are considered "hardcore", but it's still a grocery getter.  Currently, its getting ready to go SAS to bring it to the next level.

but if I was going to build an IFS zook again, I'd pick an auto 16V Kick over the GV for the simplicity of it.

Offline Novadon

• South Carolina. USA
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 04:03:28 AM »
99' Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2.5, 4wd, 5spd.
72 Nova, SB, A/C, Power disk/drum & steering,
03' Honda Odyssey