Hello Guest

setting the timing on an 87 samurai

• 14 Replies

setting the timing on an 87 samurai
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:44:16 AM »
I changed the distrubuter o-rings on my 87 cause they were leaking.  Anyway when i got done it wouldn't crank, I think i may have messed up the ignition timing, B/c the rotor may have turned slightly when i took the distributer housing apart.  Anyway i need help or can some one point me towards instructions on how to set the timing again.  Any replies are appreciated. THanks

Offline big_kountry21

• 1 bad mamajama
Re: setting the timing on an 87 samurai
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:29:44 PM »
check with your local GM dealership they have like a chiltons book but better i used them when i reset the time on mine if they want they can print you off what you need atleast mine did.
camo 96' trak 16v 2dr 4x4
235/75/R15 MT's 15x8 black wagon wheels
5.13 gears 3" calmini body lift..

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:25:58 PM »
Thanks, i hope the local dealers will copy the book for me.  Seems like the dealers around here won't do anything for less than an $80 service call, but i will give it a try.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 05:01:30 PM »
B4 you pay...try here...

www.acksfaq.com

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 07:20:25 AM »
thank you that was helpful, i will try this stuff the next time i am working on my deer lease progect samurai

Offline big_kountry21

• 1 bad mamajama
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:31:04 PM »
i hate to hear that they charge. the ones around here are pretty cool about it.
camo 96' trak 16v 2dr 4x4
235/75/R15 MT's 15x8 black wagon wheels
5.13 gears 3" calmini body lift..

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 07:16:27 AM »
I have had several bad experiences with dealers for my jeep and Chevy, so i just generally try to stay away from them if at all possible.  I have never really tried just seeking information.  I am used to the country and moved to the city, it seems like up here in the city, they don't want to give you anything for free.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:09:01 PM »
On any car first get piston #1 at top dead center. To do that take out the plug and tunk it over with a finger in plug hole. When you feel pressuer building it is getting to TDC. look for timing marks on pulley. (I've never done it on a zuk but most cars are the same)
When timing mark on pulley lines up with pointer install your dist. so rotor is pointing to #1 wire post. It should at least start at this point.
As you put dist in it will turn rotor a bit so pay attention to that to be sure once it is in it points to #1.

Offline idaholwb

• And that's the way the metal crumpled!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 10:30:35 PM »
 Rich, only problem is Suzukis point to #4 when they are at TDC. The books all tell you to line up the piston at TDC and cap at #1, all that will get you is backfires. TDC and line it up to #4 on the cap will make it run, if it's rough adjust the timing. Plain and simple.
97 Sport
265/70-16s
2" lift
2.0 swap
I know...Pretty boring... FOR NOW...

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 05:56:10 AM »
Rich, only problem is Suzukis point to #4 when they are at TDC. The books all tell you to line up the piston at TDC and cap at #1, all that will get you is backfires. TDC and line it up to #4 on the cap will make it run, if it's rough adjust the timing. Plain and simple.

It depends on whether you have the cam mark pointing up or down when installing the distributor.....
Up, you point the rotor to the #4 tower on the cap.
Down, you point the rotor to the #1 tower on the cap.

If you can't remember which is which, just point the crank pulley or flywheel mark to either "0" or "T" respectively, put the distributor in pointing the rotor to the #1 tower on the cap and try to start the samurai.....if it doesn't start or runs really crappy, just reinstall the disty to point at the #4 tower.

A couple more notes for installing the distributor and getting the timing "close" (always adjust the timing with a timing light ASAP).  The distributor should be positioned in the center of the adjustment range, when lining up the rotor with the cap on the tower.  This also sets the timing at approximatel 10* BTDC (always verify with a timing light ASAP, as mentioned earlier).  If, when checking/setting the timing with a timing light, you have to adjust the distributor to the extreme left or right, to get close to 10* (or if you can't get the timing to adjust to 10* no matter where you rotate the distributor), then you are probably off a tooth (or more) and need to remove and reinstall the distributor.  Of course, if you have messed with the timing belt (either by removing/replacing it, or if you think it has jumped a tooth or two), you need to verify the cam to crank timing first, otherwise, you will never be able to get it to work/run right.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:22:38 AM by Skyhiranger »
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 06:49:10 PM »
thanks for the nice reply,  I had found this same info on another site, so i will give it a try next time i am working on the zuk

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 09:15:12 AM »
B4 you pay...try here...

www.acksfaq.com

More specifically, go there and do a search for fsm or factory service manual.

Thanks, zthatzmanz28!

BTW, Skyhiranger's explanation is probably one of the best ever posted!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:17:03 AM by ack »
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 09:26:55 PM »
Here's a scenario/question:

On my buddies 1.3 we replaced the timing belt.  The mark on the cam was pointing straight up at the notch in the back of the cover and the crank was at its notch.  Everything lined up and I believe the disty was at pointing at #1 (not realy sure on this).

Anyway this was the way it was when he bought it.  So everything was running fine.  For kicks we pulled out the timing light.  At idle the mark on the crank is practically horizontal on the engine towards the passenger side.   Nowhere near the cover marks.  This was with the timing light coil on the front spark plug.  If we adjust the distributor so that the mark gets close to the cover it (twisting the distributor counter clockwise looking top down) eventually runs like crap and tries to die and just has no power.  We just put it back and refused to believe it and chalked it up to the burmuda triangle/lockness.   ;D

Offline dngrs1

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 01:15:49 AM »
I changed the distrubuter o-rings on my 87 cause they were leaking.  Anyway when i got done it wouldn't crank,
Wouldn't crank or wouldn't start?

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:29 PM »
i meant to say wouldn't start,  It would crank,but would never turn over.  A few times it backfired, but that was only due to pumping the gas a little (probably just residual fuel that didn't get ignited from the timing being off).