Hello Guest

8:1 Low Range MEGA Crawler Transfer Case Gears

• 12 Replies

Offline SNJSamurai

• Always have fun in life never know when it can end
8:1 Low Range MEGA Crawler Transfer Case Gears
« on: November 02, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »
this is crazy! 
so i was doing my usual drooling over aftermarket parts and i stumbled on this.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/samtcase.htm

8:1 mega crawler!  250% low rang reduction!

i wonder if this be over kill for just getting dirty in the mud
Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: 8:1 Low Range MEGA Crawler Transfer Case Gears
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:35:26 AM »
Not really.  My cousin runs 33x12.5" Swamper TSL's with that kit in it.  Works great.  It has the same high range as the 6.5:1 kits, but a bit lower low range.  You spend almost all your time on the trail in 3rd gear though.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:07:35 PM »
You can almost never be to low. I said almost now, I put the 6-1 kit in my zook on 30's and love it. The low range is perfect, and I turn about 4200 rpm at 70. If I want wheel speed i can grab high range now.

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:19:52 PM »
see i was thinking to run 35s and that kit be perfect probably just its a big hunk change out of the pocket it be over 2k for tires rims tcase kit and transmisson kit ( yea ill do the work myself )
Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:47:40 AM »
If your not upgrading to Toyota axles you will probably want to give Trail Tough a call and add their Double Tuff front axles to the kit as well, and new side gears for the front end.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 02:58:46 PM »
i know im going to kick my self in the ass but what do you mean side gears?

and i forgot to add the axles to the list  :'( and im going to make axle braces myself.

my baby is just getting closer and closer to death i hit 250k the other day not sure if shes going to make it threw the winter. but i was thinking about to put a oil cooler on her soon and i just bought a newish rad and elec fan from blkknight87
Bob

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:08:28 PM »
Side gears on the differential.  That is where the axles slide into.  The standard Sammy front end has 22 spline, where the rear has 26.  The 26 is larger and stronger then the 22, so the stronger after market axles use the larger spline.

This means that you need to either get a rear differential to use, or put a locker in the front end that replaces the side gears with the larger spline.

If you are looking to do something besides street cruising with the 35" tires though, I would seriously consider just going straight to Toyota axles.  If you want to stay Suzuki, get the double tough axles from Trail Tough, as they are on sale and a great deal.  I would also look at getting an ARB for the front end instead of a standard locker.  With the front end open most of the time you put a lot less stress on the hardware.  That makes you a lot less likely to break parts.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 07:17:50 PM »
thanks for the advice!
  i might put off the bigger tires and just work on beefing up the drivetrain first.

but is going with yota axles cheaper than staying suzuki?
Bob

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »
Not at first.  But you want to look at the long run.  If you plan on abusing the equipment you might end up having to replace all the Suzuki hardware anyway a year or two down the road.

Before the chromoly fronts from Trail Tough came on sale if I was starting again from scratch with the 33's I would go straight for a set of axles from a Toyota and not have even bothered with building up the Suzuki axles.  Little bit wider, and with our hp able to run 35" tires without a problem.  Now it is kind of a toss up.  The SJ axles will probably work just fine if you brace them up a bit.  But it's kind of a toss up, your running at the upper end of what the Suzuki axles can handle.

You don't really know what you need until you wheel with it.  I am running stock front birfields, have been for 4 years now and I've only blown one up.  The rear axles took over 3 years to break, but I twisted them up but good.  However, I have a trailer queen that only sees action once or twice a month.  :)  That is the advantage of wheeling a rig for a while and building it up as you go along.  You learn what you can and can't get away with.  Everyone else on here can give you a different story and a different view point.  Maybe someone out there abusing the new front axles can tell you how much abuse they take.  :P

If your planning to build up your rig from mild straight to hardcore don't take shortcut.  It is just going to cost you twice as much in the long run.

Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 10:28:03 PM »
HARDCORE lol

thats my problem i go hard into everything i buy. my vw was originally only going to be a mild fun car but 2 years later i have a itb stroker with solid lifters and a cam big enough to scare v8s and a suspension just as tight as a race car lol and the sammi was going to be a trial mpg mud truck and before i know it im making a wishlist what to do to it.

but see i dont do rock crawling and thats where im not sure with alot of the focus with samurais are rock crawling im not complaining if i lived near rocks id be up there all the time. just i dont know if i should just build it for rock crawling and hope it performs well with the mud  :-\

really appreciate your guys help
Bob

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »
im guessing the arb air lockers are expensive because all the places online say call for pricing?
Bob

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 08:48:54 AM »
ARB's are nice, but yes they are expensive.  Expect to put about 1200 or more into your diffs before you are done.

I would run your rig around first with open diffs.  See how much more traction you need, get a feel for how it runs.  Heck, try it out stock before you worry about lower gears, 35" tires, ect.  You might be surprised at just how far you can go and not even bother with going extreme.  At least, not for the first year.  :D
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »
shes doing good for what she is. i started running into deeper ruts and started to have to get a running start into the holes or bypassing them. so i bought a winch lol my friends still have big v8 trucks and they dont wheel so much do to mpg its why i sold mine and bought this amazing little suzuki.

31s are so small to the lift i have and i know if i had a killer tcase ill be able to crawl threw the holes instead of screaming threw
Bob