Hello Guest

suspension problem

• 8 Replies

Offline LinemaN

• Life is the sum of all your chioces.
suspension problem
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:31:30 AM »
yes i just recently bought a sami and they told me it had a 4 inch lift  so i bought 4" skyjacker lift shocks for it but when i put them on there are fully compressed is this right  or what should i do

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: suspension problem
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »
What kind of lift? there are several different ways to lift a Sammy.
Post a Pic of your truck, lets see what you got going

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline LinemaN

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »
i think he said it had a shackle lift but it dont look like it and were he didnt have any shocks on it. it looks like the leafs are bent

Offline LinemaN

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:28:49 AM »
it looks like a stock shackle

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
i don't have a samurai, so what do i know, but- is that spring over axle? that would lift things up...
you are right to question those shocks- the suspension should hit bump stops before the shocks bottom out.
i think.
nice looking rig.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:10:34 PM »
You have a SPOA with what looks like OEM shackles - which many (myself included) would say is a good thing.

Those front springs are worn out, not bent.  You can replace them or do a Rears Up Front (RUF) using a set or rear springs with the helper leaf taken out and a bolt-on rear (as in rear of the front spring) spring mount.

You should have some travel left in your shocks - especially with a SPOA installed - with the truck sitting at rest.  At the very least, your bumpstops should make contact with the frame before your shocks bottom out.  Are the lower shock mounts on the U-Bolt plate on top of the axle??  They should be mounted on an aftermarket welded-on mount on the bottom of the axle.  The OEM shock mount bolts are often cut off for clearance purposes.

That's how mine is setup...
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:58:17 PM »
It looks like he flipped the spring pads around, you can see it in the second photo.  You will want to use a stock length shock on the front end.  I ran mine this way to keep the shock up and out of the way of rocks, I later switched to a taller shock tower when I had to move the shock tower with the RUF conversion.

To get the springs to level out I added another second leaf to the spring pack, you can get them from Hawk Suzuki for pretty cheap if you don't have a spare set of springs laying around.  That brought the pack back to level.  After a year or so I re-ached them in the garage.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline LinemaN

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 04:25:13 AM »
thanks guys what about the back its the same way do i need to weld a mount plate on bottom of axle also

Offline maddoghd

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »
To use your longer shocks you will have to weld a mount to bottom of the axle.  Otherwise put on an OEM shock.  As far as your leafs are concerned you have two ways 1:  add a leaf will help 2: new leafs and and you can get these in different  amounts of lift up to 3".  I have the 3" springs they are great.  dont do a shackle because it doesnt help when you come up to a bank the shackles will hit every time.  Been there done that,  since you already have the spring over go for the new leafs and you will get up to 7" of lift without even touching the shackles.