Hello Guest

Manuel to power steering

• 6 Replies

Manuel to power steering
« on: October 27, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »
Hi, this is my first post on here.  My 95 tracker has manuel steering but i am thinking on putting power steering on it.  There are a couple of four door trackers and sidekicks around here that i can get parts off of.  Is it as simple as changing the steering box and installing the power steering pump and bracket with new belts?  I didn't get a chance to take a look and see yet and decided to check on here.  My tracker is a two door with a 2" spacer lift and 31" tires.  Thanks.

Just wanted to add that sometimes it seems like my tracker likes to try wonder, especially when the pave has some little ridges.  Don't know if power steering would help.  On smooth pave it is perfect but when you hit a little imperfection in the pave it seems loose, but all steering seems tight.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:48:34 PM by coles dad »

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: Manuel to power steering
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:07:44 PM »
you have a later model than i do, but i suspect that will make the conversion easier.
especially if the donor has the same size engine.
i have a 1.3L engine, so i needed a custom crankshaft pully to drive the pump.
the steering boxes had the same bolt pattern and bolted right up.
the pump bracket needed modification to fit the 1.3L block.
i mounted the fluid reservoir so i could use the stock hoses.
it was easier to make this change than i anticipated, and am sorry i didn't do it sooner.

as i was monkeying with the project i found play in the steering linkage. inner tie rod joint slop.
when test running it, i had reached down and rocked the wheels back an forth, using the steering shaft, and realized the linkage was flexing/hopping around a bit.
i had thought it pretty tight before that.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:06:07 PM »
I am guessing your tracker has the 16V engine, right?  If so, you will need the PS setup off of a 16V engine, so the belts will line up.  You need the pump along with the engine bracket, the steering shaft between the firewall and steering box, the steering box with pitman arm, the crank pulley (if yours doesn't have the dual crank pulley), the lines and the reservoir.  And you will need to get a new belt.  Then it is just a matter of bolting it all on and bleeding the air out.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:16:34 PM »
Talk to BRD HNTR, he did the conversion on his 91 Tracker and probably remembers what exactly had to be changed.  I don't remember swapping out the steering shaft, but we did have to replace the bar that your pitman arm pushes back all the way out to the tie rod ends.  The manual steering kit had a different length. 

As Skyhiranger said you will also need the correct pump bracket.  BRD HNTR just cut and re-welded the 16 valve bracket to make it work on the 8 valve.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
Talk to BRD HNTR, he did the conversion on his 91 Tracker and probably remembers what exactly had to be changed.  I don't remember swapping out the steering shaft, but we did have to replace the bar that your pitman arm pushes back all the way out to the tie rod ends.  The manual steering kit had a different length. 

As Skyhiranger said you will also need the correct pump bracket.  BRD HNTR just cut and re-welded the 16 valve bracket to make it work on the 8 valve.

I have swapped PS onto several trackicks that originally had manual steering, and I have never had to replace the drag link portion of the steering.  I have always had to replace the steering shaft, since the manual and PS boxes are different lengths, so therefore the steering shafts are different lengths.
The differences in the pump brackets between the 8V and 16V is that the holes where they mount to the engine are drilled 1/4" different.  The 16V uses a wider timing belt...so the lower timing belt cog is thicker/wider.....so that pushes the crank pulley out 1/4" farther from the engine (they all use the same crank pulley)....so the pump bracket has to be located differently, in order to keep the belt lined up.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 03:36:44 PM »
Hey thanks for the responses.  My tracker is the 16 valve and both the tracker and sidekick that i looked at are both 16 valve also so it should be pretty easy.  I also checked today and my motor already has the two pulleys on the crankshaft.  I will see about doing it whenever i get time, hopefully before the snow.

Offline tipover

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:26:11 PM »
back to your question about your wandering front end on ridges and bumps.  I have found that raising a kick changes the angles of the suspension that causes it to wander. 

for example the rear trailing arms are now at an angle.  so as the suspension cycles it causes a little bit of steering.  the compressed side gets longer and the extended side gets shorter causing the rear end not to be square to the car and causing the wandering feeling.  thats why the links are pretty flat from the factory. that way when the side gets compressed and the other side is extemded, it stays the same length.

for the front it is the same way. mine with 2.5 lift, it sits about 2" narrower from WMS to WMS.  when it extends, it gets up to another inch narrower.

So i think that even if you get a perfect alignment, you will still have some wandering and power steering wont chnge that.

Just my opinion.
Wheeler-87 Samurai JX. 7" lift, 1.6 TBI, lockers hybrid rear, 33" Swampers, 6 to 1s in a billet housing.
RV Dingy-2003 2 door tracker
Tow-97 PSD F250 Crew SB Dana 60 conversion
87 samurai-spoa ZookEV electric conversion.
RV- 31' Monaco Mckenzie