Hello Guest

Sidekick/Toyota steering Question

• 2 Replies

Offline S.Sidekick

• Suzi Suzuki
Sidekick/Toyota steering Question
« on: December 02, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »
Hey Guys,

Haven't been on here for a long time, but my SAS Sidekick is a beast... Brent recently did the slip yoke eliminator and  4:24's to my T-case, add this to my 5.71's in my diffs & my rig crawls... But the question I had is my steering has always been loose, since my SAS swap. I have a trail gear High steer setup (shortened and threaded the knuckle to steering box arm), with my stock pit man arm (i had it drilled to fit). But I was wondering what all I can do to improve my turning?  I would like it stiffer & more responsive I already called Low range & their drop pit-man arm is still on back order, I don't want to use a Toyota steering box, and my sidekick steering box has been adjusted. Any input would be great!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Sidekick/Toyota steering Question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »
Assuming you did the trail slayer kit or you built yours like that kit with tie rod ends for the panhard bar... Are you sure that your tie rod ends on the panhard bar are tight? Have someone rock the steering and watch the ends looking for movement in the joints themselves pay particularly close attention to the one at the frame mount.

Another problem area is cracks forming in the frame at the crumple zone creases. I fully plate all my builds around that area to reduce flex and cracking. Maybe it's that?

Hope that helps. -Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline biker

• It's a sickness I tell ya
Re: Sidekick/Toyota steering Question
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:02:31 AM »
When you had the pitman arm reamed for the trail gear drag link are you sure they used the correct pitch of reamer? Trail gear uses a FJ80 tie rod which requires a 1.200TPF reamer which are somewhat hard to come by. I know this because I'm dealing with a similar problem on mine and I've narrowed it down to an incorrect taper in the pitman arm which seams tight but under steering stress it allows movement which appears as loose steering.
94 Kick with bigger tires
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara