Picture of my sidekick with winch bumper I built

• 18 Replies

Picture of my sidekick with winch bumper I built
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Picture of my sidekick with winch bumper I built
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »
Looks good, what did it take to build it?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
very nice could i get the plans looking at building one also
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 04:10:20 PM »
Nice Work!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:39:20 PM »
Thanks for the kind words on the bumper. The bumper was a fair bit of work, first i formed a piece of 3/16 plate into a U shape it is 5" tall 7and 1/2 inches deep and as wide as the inside of the frame i think it was 27 inches.Than I cut at each end of the winch pocket about 5 inches and cut a pie shape out and pressed each end in till i had a bit of a curve at each end of the winch pocket than welded the 5 inch slits up This gave the winch pocket a slight curve. Than I made a template out of cardboard using the original bumper as the lines for the inside part of the new bumper than i drew out the lines of the outline of the front part of the bumper, this took a few trys and a few pieces of cardboard to get it so i liked it. I than traced the cardboard onto 10 gauge steel. I cut the pieces with a zip disc stacked them all together and shaped them on a belt sander. This was the harder part trying to figure out how to mount the bumper to the frame. I made a template of the frame and the body mount part of the frame end than cut out some pieces of 3/16 plate that was the same shape as the frame than extended out at 5 inches wide to fit into the winch pocket than I drilled some 3/4 inch holes into two pieces of 2 1/2 inch x 1/2 flat bar that was 8 inches long and welded them to the 3/16 bumper mounts  than welded the 3/16 to the winch pockets and fit it to the frame .Pulled it off marked were the holes are going to go than drilled the frame out welded 1/2 inch pipe into the frame put the winch pocket back on and drilled out the 3/16 were it is going to be mounted. than i took it all off the sidekick and sized up were the top and bottom ends were going to fit and tacked them on, put it all back on checked it out to make sure it all looked ok.did this a couple of times before i got it right, than formed up the outer skin on an iron worker with a forming die, fit it, than welded it all up refit it all looked good so i cut the radius at the wheel and formed some 12 gauge and boxed the ends in. plasma 3 one inch holes in the winch pocket to let water and mud out and fit the winch and drilled the holes for the winch mount. I still have to connect the wiring up for the winch. sorry I do not have plans on paper as i drew it out and the end pieces were odd shapes before i welded them all together. I wish i would have taken picture of the proccess but i just wanted to get it done and at the time did not feel like stopping to get the camera for photos.
                                                                                                                         Chuck
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:04:10 PM by canuckchuck »

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:45:11 PM »
Looks great!

- Andy
GO PREPARED! www.WARN.com
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/WARNfans
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/WarnIndustries

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
Nice job on the bumper.  It is really similar to mine, right down to the construction method.  The winch box seems to have more room in it than mine though.

You might want to get one of these for the winch.  They work great, I wired it in parallel with the wired controls (because you don't know when wireless electronics are going to get finicky.  While I do not use my winch much it has been in my rig two years and still working good.  It works out to 70 ft, which can be handy.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline PierPaul

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »
nice works maybe we can see some other picture of your bumper

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:52:43 PM by canuckchuck »

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
It was a gift, but it came from Roadless Gear.  When winching someone it can be controlled from best vantage point.  I never use my wired remote (but keep it in winch bag).
With that fairlead I guess you are going synthetic?
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:00:56 PM »
BRD HNTR This fairlead actually came with a winch that has steel cable. I may change it out for a roller fairlead if i can get my lazy but out there and put the winch on. I have prefit the winch but have not hooked it up to the wires yet work to many hours lol. Also i want to make a skid plate from the bumper to the front cross member.  Do you have any pics of your bumper and winch? How many pound cap. is your winch ?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:09:06 PM by canuckchuck »

Offline PierPaul

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »
in my case i put my skidplate one piece with my bumper but maybe you did some one like that

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »
BRD HNTR This fairlead actually came with a winch that has steel cable. I may change it out for a roller fairlead if i can get my lazy but out there and put the winch on. I have prefit the winch but have not hooked it up to the wires yet work to many hours lol. Also i want to make a skid plate from the bumper to the front cross member.  Do you have any pics of your bumper and winch? How many pound cap. is your winch ?

Winch is 8,000 lb, I got used but it is Harbor Freight.  It can lift the front right off the ground, and pull jeeps back on the road.  I have synthetic, so will be switching to that soon (that means when I get to it).

I have a lowered diff, so I needed a lower section in skid pan for center section.  Propane tanks are just not strong enough, I will be modifying that section shortly.

Center section & back section together

Back mount

This tab now goes forward to hold the back of front skidpan and front of back skidpan.  I welded the nuts to skidpans so they can just be bolted in.  The front skidpan overlaps the back pan.

These were made out of 10 gauge, they should be heavier as I have sprung them.

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
BRD HNTR that looks pretty beefy looks pretty good. I was at first a little leary of using to heavy of material  because i didn't want to take away to much of the lift with suspension sag, but it barely moves the suspension even with a 8500 pound cap. winch. How much lighter is the synthetic rope as aposed to the cable? I wish that I took progress pictures when I built my bumper  and I new that i should of when I built it but I wanted to get it done.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »
Same here with the photo's.  My nephew bent up my bumper for me at night in the fab shop he works in.  He took out a piece of cardboard and with a little discussion drew some lines, cut, bend, fold and check for fit.  When it looked right he did same thing with the metal.  It was going so good I did not stop to take photo's.  The bumper hasn't bent even scraping the rocks in Moab.  If I could get past the bumper we could climb it.
Wheeling out here you need a skidpan. If the roots & logs don't get bellly, the rocks will.  Having an automatic I knew something was going to poke a hole in the tranny pan and then I couldln't get out.  I have set on the skidpan and just teetered for a while until one end touched down and I could pull off on that end.