Hello Guest

What is the best manual for a 2.0 motor

  • 8 Replies
  • 2553 Views

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

*

Jimbo88

What is the best manual for a 2.0 motor
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »
Like the title says ,I am looking for the best motor manual I can fined. I am doing a TT convertion on a 88 ZUk .
  Thanks Jim  ???

*

Offline ack

  • 1659
  • 34
  • Gender: Male
  • Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: What is the best manual for a 2.0 motor
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 05:14:13 AM »
the best (ie least-expensive) two choices are the Tracker 5-speed with the matching 2.0 bellhousing or the Samurai.  There is also a tailpiece conversion kit for the Tracker/Sidekick transmission (2 or 4wd) to convert it to work with the Samurai intermediate shaft...

Most folks don't screw with transmissions - they mod the rest of the drivetrain to match the vehicle build.

I hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

*

Online fordem

  • 4334
  • 170
  • Gender: Male
Re: What is the best manual for a 2.0 motor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »
When I read the post, manual transmission was not what came to mind - but service manual - if that's what you're asking about, go over to the Suzuki forums (www.suzuki-forums.com) and post a service manual request for the donor vehicle, Max will give you a link to a soft copy of the factory service manuals.
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny
'24 A6N415 Jimny (XL)

*

Jimbo88

Re: What is the best manual for a 2.0 motor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:43:20 AM »
sorry for the confusion, but I am looking for the best motor manual (book).  Thanks for the info anyway!  P.S. I really don't like the Haynes books so I am looking for something else.
Thanks , Jim

*

Jimbo88

Re: What is the best manual for a 2.0 motor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »
When I read the post, manual transmission was not what came to mind - but service manual - if that's what you're asking about, go over to the Suzuki forums (www.suzuki-forums.com) and post a service manual request for the donor vehicle, Max will give you a link to a soft copy of the factory service manuals.


Thanks for the info fordem.  I will go there and check that out.  Do you know any tricks about these motors that you could pass along as I am new to this motor?

Thanks, Jim.

*

Online fordem

  • 4334
  • 170
  • Gender: Male
Re: What is the best manual for a 2.0 motor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 09:04:56 AM »
I'm assuming we're talking the J20A 2.0 inline 4 from a 2.0 Tracker or Vitara - I'd say it's a nice motor, 16v DOHC with chain drive - it's probably a good idea to replace the chain, guides, tensioners & adjusters before installing it - they are not problematic, provided, the engine is properly maintained - but - on an engine that has been neglected, they WILL give you trouble.

Personally I prefer to spend a few bucks more and get the OEM Suzuki filters (Low Range Off Road), I've found that they virtually eliminate timing chain rattle at a cold start - in theory - any filter with a drain back valve will do the same thing, but it seems to me the OEM ones work better, and it's just a few bucks more.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head - apart from the chain thing - if you have any questions - on the motor, I've never gotten involved with the conversion, I'm on here, or the suzuki forums, most days.
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny
'24 A6N415 Jimny (XL)

*

Jimbo88

Re: What is the best manual for a 2.0 motor
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »
Thanks for the info fordem I realy appreciate it .
 Thanks,Jim

*

Online fordem

  • 4334
  • 170
  • Gender: Male
Re: What is the best manual for a 2.0 motor
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:10:43 PM »
You're welcome - I saw Max sent you the link for the manuals - if you need more info - say a wiring diagram - if you know the VIN or year of the donor vehicle I may be able to assist.
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny
'24 A6N415 Jimny (XL)

*

Jimbo88

Re: What is the best manual for a 2.0 motor
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »
Thanks fordem, I appreciate all the help and it's nice to know that there are good people who give out good help on these forums.  I will look for you on the other forum as I surf around.

Thanks for hooking me up with Max.  That was a big help and what I was looking for.

Jim