Hello Guest

Brake pedal goes to the floor

• 14 Replies

Offline johnnc

Brake pedal goes to the floor
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
Hi All,

I am having a braking issue that I hope you can help me with. The details of my rig are in my Sig below.

When I turn the steering wheel full left, the fluid from the front brakes is being pushed back up into the reservoir. The level in the reservoir increases by about 1/8". As a result, the brake pedal goes to the floor and I have to pump them to get them back to normal. I know it is the front brakes because I have pulled the parking brake and it sets no problem. The issue doesn't happen in a hard right turn.

The only other time this has happened when not turning is offroad and the vehicle is flexed in a certain way.

I have checked for leaks, looked to see if the brake lines are being stretched, and checked the steering stop on the driver's side. The stops are NOT hitting in a full left turn and by the looks of it, no amount of adjustment will allow the stop to be hit by the steering arm.

I would appreciate any assistance.

thanks,

John
1992 Suzuki Sidekick 1.6l 8-valve. 2.5" OME Lift, 1" Body Lift. 31" Nexen Roadian MT, homemade sliders. ZOR bumpers on the way as well as Rear Locker and 4.24:1 Transfer Case Gears

Offline HERC99

Re: Brake pedal goes to the floor
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
hafe u tride to bleed the left side mabey theres air in the calpire

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »
Is the caliper being pushed on by anything when turning?
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline johnnc

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:47:35 PM »
I haven't bled the brakes yet because they are fine in every other condition. I will bleed them to be sure though.

Talon - When I turn hard over to the left the coil spring is very close to the caliper but I don't think it is making contact. I will double check again in the morning.

Does the lift have anything to do with this? I did go with the stiff OME coils in anticipation of the ZOR bumpers. Are these coils larger than stock and could they be pressing against the caliper?

My invoice from Low Range says the front springs are OME 959 and the rear springs are OME 961.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:04:33 PM by johnnc »
1992 Suzuki Sidekick 1.6l 8-valve. 2.5" OME Lift, 1" Body Lift. 31" Nexen Roadian MT, homemade sliders. ZOR bumpers on the way as well as Rear Locker and 4.24:1 Transfer Case Gears

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:42:29 AM »
Herc - air anywhere will have the same effect, spongy brakes, and it won't happen only on a left turn.

John - you have to check with the weight of the vehicle "on the wheels" which can make it difficult to see - put jack stands under the frame, remove the wheel and place a jack under the ball joint and jack until it just clears the jack stand under the left frame rail and then turn hard left.

Here's a thread that might interest you.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »
I have seen lift springs "bow out" as the A-arm drops and then it contacts a caliper body, it wont have a stop feel when contacting, as the spring will give slightly as it contacts the caliper and forces the piston into the caliper.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
I have seen lift springs "bow out" as the A-arm drops and then it contacts a caliper body, it wont have a stop feel when contacting, as the spring will give slightly as it contacts the caliper and forces the piston into the caliper.

BRD HNTR had this issue when he was running taller springs in the front.  His fix was to modify the spring pads to remove the bow.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline johnnc

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »
fordem - Thanks again for your responses. I understand the procedure you describe and will perform it tonight when I get home. It looks like you didn't paste the link in your last post.

talon and drone - thanks to you as well. I will try a search and see if I can find any posts from BRD HNTR related to this subject. I have read a number of his posts. Is it possible this issue will go away once I get the ZOR bumpers mounted? Or is this problem just due to the length of the springs and they are prone to bowing?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/technical-discussion-performance-modify/coil-spacers-with-ome-trackkick-springs-and-shocks/msg273339/#msg273339

Here is a post talking about the changes.  If you find his build thread he has some info in there.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline johnnc

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 03:50:43 PM »
thanks for that Drone. I found his build thread. That modification is beyond my skills I am afraid. I guess the only other option I have is to replace the springs?

I am headed home now to see if the springs are bowing.

Offline johnnc

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
You guys nailed it. The springs are bowing out and hitting the caliper. Not sure why it only does in on the left, but both sides are bowing. So, my options are shorter springs or the BRD HNTR mod?

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »
I gained clearance on my calipers running 4dr rotors and calipers.

Offline johnnc

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »
Thanks Talon. Did you have similar issues with springs bowing? I just bought brand new rotors and pads when I bought the vehicle earlier this year. It is amazing how fast the expenses add up even with the "cheap" Suzuki's!! Still a hell of a lot cheaper than a Heep and more unique, in my opinion.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 06:14:30 AM »
I didnt have huge issues with my AE 4.5" lift, it pushs the front axle forwards approx 1.5" along with a longer spring that bows ever so slightly even with the AE lift's new A-arms and it's modified spring seat. But that forwards push of the axle centerline did place the caliper closer to the spring and would contact at full lock without any suspension flex, the 4dr calipers allowed more turning before contacting.

Online fordem

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »
fordem - Thanks again for your responses. I understand the procedure you describe and will perform it tonight when I get home. It looks like you didn't paste the link in your last post.

Click on the word here in that post ;)
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny