Hello Guest

89 Sidekick cold start oddness

• 4 Replies

Offline toolman21

• 89 Kick with 5" lift and 30's
89 Sidekick cold start oddness
« on: September 10, 2012, 01:27:18 PM »
My sidekick (1.6 L) has been sitting for a long time. During that time I would start it every couple months and it would spin once or twice and start right up.

I finally get around to getting it back out, fixing it and getting it ready to drive again. It has gas that has been sitting, but hasn't been an issue as of yet, unfortunately it was almost full when I stopped driving it. I have topped it off with 93 but wasn't much room to add. Total from me moving it again to now it has been driven about 20 miles or so.

It started fine, has been starting fine. The fuel pump went bad a couple months ago, so it was replaced. Recently the fuel pump locked up, so I ordered a replacement (under warranty) and put it back in. All is well, it has been in there 2 weeks or so. It is warm here so it isn't a winter type issue.

This weekend it started doing the following:

On a cold start it spins forever before it starts. Once it starts it runs normally, never sputters or runs rough other than maybe a 1-2 second period to catch up with itself. Once you have started it for the day you can go out and it starts as soon as you hit the key. But once you let it sit overnight the same issue again.

I realize the gas isn't great, but it has been doing fine. I haven't had a chance to pull a plug, but it seems as if it was bad gas it would have A.) Shown up the entire time and B.) at least run somewhat goofy once it was started and not start instantly when hot.

Is there something else I can check when I get a next chance?  Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:35:05 PM by toolman21 »
Toolman

Offline toolman21

Re: 89 Sidekick cold start oddness
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »
So upon further inspection I currently suspect it is losing its prime to the engine after sitting for some time. All the lines are tight and there are no leaks. I am lost as to why it would suddenly lose its prime.

I'm confused. Suggestions?
Toolman

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »
Is your fuel pump running every time?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline toolman21

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:55:18 PM »
Is your fuel pump running every time?

Yes. I have gone ahead and gotten another pump, they are sending me a different brand this time. Hopefully this takes care of it. Thanks for the help
Toolman

Offline ranger88den

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:13:46 AM »
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator?