Hello Guest

Automatic Shift Lever Selector problem

• 0 Replies

Offline wolfster

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Automatic Shift Lever Selector problem
« on: January 10, 2016, 06:10:49 PM »
Hi all,

New to the forum although I have been lurking here for the past 4 years and finally posting a message as I'm in need of your help!

A previous owner of a 2001 XL7 4wd and currently own 2004 XL7 4wd automatic that I drive during the winter period.

I'm trying to narrow down a problem I'm having with the Manual Select lever.

I was meeting up with a friend for lunch and had parked my suzuki in the parking lot just outside the restaurant. When I went to leave I was not able to start her up. The Select lever was stuck in park and I could not budge it at all. I eventually noticed on my dash that although the select lever was in park the dash indicated that I was in reverse. Not sure how that happened but became obvious why I could do anything.

I manged to remove the panel for the Select lever and started to fiddle around in there. There was a yellow plastic piece that I pushed forward which allowed me to engage the Select Lever and put it in reverse. The dash still indicated Reverse at this point. I proceeded to move the lever to Neutral which moved the dash indicator to Neutral as well.

I decided to start the car with the brake pedal pressed. It started! Awesome!
I then moved the lever to Drive(Dash indicator moved to Drive as well) but could not move the car because I had a car right in front of me. I decided to move the Lever back to Neutal but the indicator on the dash stayed put on Drive. So it seemed to me that it only was able to move one way as far as the indicator on the dash was concerned. To validate this assumption I moved the level further downward to Drive 2 The indicator did move to 2 as well.

Since I could not move forward I decided to shut off the car in hopes that all would magically work. Hahhah I was fooled.

At this point I could no longer start her up again since I could not move the dash indicator upward.

Has anybody experienced a similar problem and could shed some light as to where the problem could be? Shift cable? Transmission range switch sensor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks