Hello Guest

CA Smog Legal Engine swap

• 2 Replies

Offline sjsamurai

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
CA Smog Legal Engine swap
« on: January 30, 2016, 04:59:17 PM »
Hi,

Just bought my first Samurai :) It's a '87 - stock motor and tranny, shackle lifted, SPOA with 33" tires and weber carb. The seller had it registered to a smog-free zip code but I am not so fortunate :(

While the seller mostly used it on his ranch, I plan to make this rig more street friendly :) Still debating whether I will keep the 33" tires but the motor definitely needs an upgrade, I feel. To that extent, I have read several threads but I did not find any article/blog/post with comprehensive information that covers the smog situation along with fuel injection options, clutch and exhaust options - especially for CA/Smog victims.

My smog situation is such that my local shop where I get all my cars fixed is also a smog station so I am spared the visual up-the-ass checks (had rear cats on my Boxster removed and they just checked the emissions).

So I would really appreciate some clarifications specific to my unusual smog situation ;)
- What engine? The 1.6L 8v seems like an easier job but I'd much rather get the 1.6L 16v when I am going to be dropping a couple of Gs into the project. Is the smog inspection failure with 16v have to do with visual inspection or the emissions themselves?
- Is there such a thing as a 1.6L 16v OBD1 engine? Wikipedia tells me that between 91-94, Suzuki sold a Vitara with the 16v version - G16A or G16B (which one)? And, if true, is there a reliable source for this engine? Other than searching in junkyards?
- The carburetor to FI (TBI or MPFI) conversion: a definitive parts list?
- what changes are required to the stock clutch or tranny, if any, with either the 8v or 16v engine?
- With either the 8v or 16v, can I hookup the stock exhaust with catalytic converters? I believe a new cat should do wonders to meeting emission norms for smog.
- any beefing up recommended with an engine upgrade?

Thanks! Look forward to lots more researching and building :)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:00:49 PM by sjsamurai »

Offline captwoody

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: CA Smog Legal Engine swap
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:26:20 PM »
Contact Petroworks in fallbrook Ca they do those swaps and have the parts to do them. and they have a smog referee to get your smog cert sticker
http://www.petroworks.com/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:28:45 PM by captwoody »
Just a Newbie crushing one rock at a time,2x4 rocksliders,lowrange 2"suspension lift 2" body lift and skid plates,5000 winch,towbar,grand vitara rear springs,100watt lights,ARB compressor /air up kit,ARB RD209 LOCKER,Roof rack,tow hitch, General AT2 255/70/15 or 31/10.5/15 Mud tires , 5.12 Gear swap,off road tent trailer,LED Lights

Offline sjsamurai

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: CA Smog Legal Engine swap
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 12:22:30 AM »
Thanks. Yes, talked to Gary at PetroWorks and for now, decided to put the engine upgrade on hold. Few other mods/unmods are taking precedence :)