Hello Guest

Geo Tracker Sport

• 6 Replies

Offline PescadorJM

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Geo Tracker Sport
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:06:28 AM »
I've done some searching on this subject but still have a question.  It appears the Sport Model with the engine 1.8 is less desireable.  I would think it would be just the opposite with the higher horse power.  Is it just because it is less common (hard to find parts), it has a timing chain instead of a belt, or is there some other reason it is not in favor.  Or am I completely wrong and it is a sought after model.
Thanks,

Online fordem

Re: Geo Tracker Sport
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »
First - the 1.8 Sport was only available as a Sidekick, not as the Tracker.

Second - there are a lot more differences than you might think - engine, ECU, transmissions, chassis & suspension, they are all different - and yes - they are a challenge to find parts for, and that I believe is the main reason they are less popular.

The timing chain instead of a belt, at least in my mind, is a non-issue ( that's actually one of the parts that is readily available - many (but not all) of the engine parts interchange with the 2.0 Vitaras & Trackers which were quite popular) - on the one hand you have a belt that must be changed at specified intervals, and on the other, you have a chain which lasts the life of the engine - no replacement required as long as you stay up to date with your maintenance.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline PescadorJM

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 11:12:33 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.  The reason I asked there is a "1994 Geo Tracker Sport" for sale on craigslist.  Close to where I live.  The seller has about 70 or more trackers and sidekicks and it is from him I have bought some parts.   I'm out of town and won't get back for a couple of weeks so I can't go look at it but he has it priced quite a bit lower than other Trackers he has listed.
I've tried to copy paste the photo but it won't let me do it but you can find it in Houston Craigslist.
Thank again.

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 02:53:50 PM »

This one?  Regardless of what it says on the side, or in the ad., it's not a 1.8 Sport.

I tried to find a picture of a convertible 1.8 Sidekick Sport, but couldn't, below is a the hard top 1.8 Sport - look at the grille, look at the hood, look at the trim, look at the wheels ...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:01:48 PM by fordem »
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline PescadorJM

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:06:08 AM »
Yes that's the Tracker "Sport" I was talking about.  Thanks for the photo of the real Sport Model.  I'm learning more everyday.
Thanks, Jim

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
The Sidekick Sport was only available as a 4 door model. They never made one in a convertible (at least in the USA).
The bellhousing on the transmission is different on a Sport, since it uses a hydraulic clutch, instead of a cable actuated clutch. The body of the transmission is the same as any other 89-98 tracker/sidekick. So you can simply swap bellhousings and interchange transmissions between sport and non-sport models. Note, the Sport does use the .795 5th gear ratio, like found in the transmissions that came behind the 1.6 16V engines. The 5th gear ratio in trannys that came behind 8V engines is .86.
The Sidekick Sports were only made from 1996-1998, along with "regular" Sidekicks.
Used parts availability is one reason the Sport is not popular, IMO. Another reason is if the correct weight of oil isn't used in the engine, then that can cause issues with the timing chains jumping teeth and when that happens, the pistons will usually hit the valves, since it is an interference engine. In the 1.6 8V and 16V engines, if the timing belt breaks, then generally no valve/piston damage will result, since they are not interference engines.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Online rasmeidirtrider

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 10:22:11 PM »
Quote from: Skyhi
Used parts availability is one reason the Sport is not popular, IMO.
[/quote
It now gets to the point where the Sport and non sport are facing part unavailability!
'96 (07/95) US imported Sidekick Sport, 16V, 1.8L, 4 auto, 4x4, 4dr, A/C, ABS, 100K miles, VIN: JS3TD21V6T4101985, bone stock, except 215/70R/16.