Hello Guest

Cabin Air Intake Cleanup

• 3 Replies

Offline nvvt

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Cabin Air Intake Cleanup
« on: October 11, 2017, 03:46:43 AM »
So about a week ago I picked up a 1988 Suzuki Samurai with 37,000 miles on it! Overall it's in great shape and my plan is to do a full clean, repair, and modest improvement on it. The goal is to get a fun vehicle to do some very light off road camping from. After some reading I've decided to take advantage of removing the console and clean out the heater box. However I wanted to find a good way from keeping this to be a problem. So I've decided to do a few modifications and post my progress.

Goals:
1) Do the heater clean out modification
2) Add air intake scoop
3) Add a filter to help minimize dust and debri

Parts:
Air Scoop - http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-samurai-air-intake-scoop-seb-ais.html
Heater Plug - https://www.amazon.com/Flush-Mount-Black-Plastic-Sheet/dp/B015PBLXYK
Coarse Filter Material - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ONZT5Y
Fine Filter Material - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ONZT5E
Blind Threaded Rivets - https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-20pcs-Metric-Steel-Insert/dp/B00W8TUIHG
Molding - https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Parts-Flexible-Scratch-Protection/dp/B06Y54X3WG

Plan:
1) Hole cut in back of heater box and use plug to seal after a good clean out
2) Attach Air Scoop over air intake cowl using blind threaded rivets (so I can remove the dang thing) and molding around scoop to protect paint underneath.
3) Use coarse filter material lining front of intake scoop to keep out debris and large dust. Then use fine filter against cowling to protect against dust. Threaded rivets allow me to remove the scoop so I can swap the filters.

I'll post plenty of pictures as I start going but I'd love to hear others thoughts on this! Also has anyone try using the vent scoops in reverse for an air induction setup like the jeep guys tend to love?

Also my first post, first off road vehicle, and first hobby car... wish me luck and be kind...

Offline hottones21

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Cabin Air Intake Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
Can't wait to see the pictures. I need to do the same on my 'Zuki.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »
Good plan..

popcorn at the ready!

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline TinTopTom

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:08:57 AM »
I'm working on the same thing. Very little air out the vents, tiny amount of heat, fan motor not happy. The underhood heater water valve is sticky, but works. All three motor speeds work. It sounds like different speeds anyway  ;)

I tried the 'core a hole in the side of the heater plenum with a hole saw and shop vacuum trick', compressed air blowing to loosen up the junk, but that didn't work. Not much came out. Too small a hose, not enough suck from my little shop vac, too much junk that was too stuck to the core. Maybe a combination of those. The blower still sounded like a garbage disposal when I turned the fan on, and sounded like the fan was slipping, then turning, then slipping or something. Not much air came out.

Rather than continuing to monkey around, I just removed the entire dash in order to get the heater plenum, and water separator out.

Let me say this about that... When they built these, I'm pretty sure Suzuki started with a heater, then build and over-bolted a truck around it  :(

It's no wonder the most viewed Youtube video under 'Samurai heater removal' is some angry guy chipping, no, smashing his up with a hammer, and removing it in chunks.

Tips: In my '88, the underdash crossbar has to come out. There is a sneaky little bolt thru the firewall, that must be removed from under the hood.

In my case, after I got it completely out and on the bench, I found small rocks and leaves in the fan, oak leaves in the water separator, the heater core's fins were almost completely clogged with trail dust and what looked like dog hair.

I'm glad I gave up and removed the dash, as no amount of vacuuming thru a hole was going to get that stuff out.

My The plastic fan's hub had partially stripped out, probably from getting jammed up by the rocks, which explains why the fan would come on, all three speeds worked, but it would start, stop start, sounded like a disposal, and almost no air would come out on any setting. Other than that, the thing was perfect.

I have a spare used blower and fan, but with this thing being such a PITA to work on, I ordered a new blower motor, new resister, heater core, and hoses.

I salvaged the good fan from the spare blower I have. I also picked up a cowl vent cover (LowRange), to slow down the leaves and junk from getting into the vent and clogging up things in the future.

I cleaned everything up and replaced all the parts and bench tested everything a few nights ago. Not exactly a hurricane, but it moves air, 3 speeds, all the flapper doors work, I gorilla taped up the seams were the foam seals had bitten the dust.

Another tip: You have to check the polarity on the replacement blower motors.  These 12v motors are made to run in either direction. Get it backward and the fan spins, but the air doesn't move. I got mine reversed the first time, but it was easy to correct by swapping the wires.

I'll get mine back together this weekend. I hope that's helpful  :)
Building stuff is a way of life