Hello Guest

1995 Sidekick Daily Driver/Weekend Family Fun Rig

• 48 Replies

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: 1995 Sidekick Daily Driver/Weekend Family Fun Rig
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »
I am looking at buying a parts rig, and will have an extra drivers side stub if I do...can you just run the driver side stub on the passenger side?
Yes you could run the stub axle shaft and ds CV without other modifications.

Drivers side on the differential has a "about" 14 inch axle shaft with three lobes on it.  There is a CV shaft bolted to the three lobes that goes outward to the wheel hub.  On the Passenger side there is a double splined CV shaft that slip into the differential and wheel hub both.  It is easier to change the Drivers side CV shaft because it can be unbolted from the differential.  On the passenger side the easy way is to remove the ball joint and lifting the hub up and outward slip the CV from the differential and then wheel hub for replacement.
Now, if you take the ps CV shaft and cut it off just at the base of the CV cup, then take a ds differential axle cut the lobe off, and weld that lobe onto the stubby axle end you just made, you will have a ps stubby axle shaft.  Now the ds CV will bolt onto the ps stubby alxe and you won't have to tear the whole ps apart to change broken CV's.  So now you only have to carry one CV shaft (because it will work on either side) and is much easier changing. 
The real trick is to measure the total compressed length of the ps CV shaft, then measure the comp-ressed length of the ds CV shaft.  The difference is the length of your new stub shaft with the lobe welded in place.  (If you weld is not true it will wobble.)

Just remember.
Every modification begets another modification.  Always!
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 06:40:23 AM »
Lots of good information BRD HNTR. The cv mod has been on my list for a while.  I also want to make the move to larger tires.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 07:56:41 PM »
I ran my stub axle for about 5 years with two leaking seals on ps.  I installed a poly bushing behind the seal last year (?), and think that it should improve seal life.  I made mine. but Bits for
Vits is the only place I have found that have them.  They will help on standard ps also.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 11:44:05 AM »
I have finally nearly finished the bumper!  I have some grinding on the back side to finish, and a cap for the 2x6 tubing in the hitch opening, but it is pretty much what it is going to be!
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 05:33:56 PM »
So more bumper progress.  I got all the welding finished. I could still spend a lot of time grinding welds on the back side, but I am just tired.  Since March started, I have had a bout of cellulitis, wife had a baby, gallbladder attack and subsequent removal, uncle that raised me diagnosed with blood cancer...it has been a long spring!!!  So more than anything I decided that while the bumper is not finished, I am done for now.  I slapped a quick coat of black paint on it and put the grille back in. I am overall happy with how it turned out, and eventually I have a few more things to do to it.
1995 Sidekick JLX
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 04:43:05 PM »
I tackled a little project today I had been pondering on.  I had put the Gen 2 Tracker springs up front and had the factory 4 door springs off the front. I had compared some specs, and while the front springs are a little bit shorter than the rears, they are a heavier rate, and installed heights were similar.  I feel like the rear springs on the ‘Kick were a bit on the saggy side, and I routinely haul tools and building materials in the interior, and drag a small trailer regularly. It rides super spongy when hooked to a trailer, so I figured the extra spring rate might help that.  So some pictures.  The picture with the hitch...I dollied that trailer down, picking it up just enough to clear when I pulled away...pulled the rig in the shop, installed springs and backed back up to the trailer to see how much, if any, additional lift I gained.
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 08:41:06 PM »
Another small progress item...the ‘Kick has a Grant GT steering wheel...I like it, but the Allen head screws around the hub had long since lost all their paint, and were rusty and nasty, and the wheel was just dingy.  I pulled it off and gave the whole mess a repaint yesterday.
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 07:59:30 AM »
The steering wheel looks great. I think small projects are good ways to keep progress moving.  Several small projects make a lot of difference, especially when we don't have time to do big projects.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 05:28:21 AM »
So a slow go on my ‘Kick.  I pulled the trans and t-case chasing a noise.  Tore down the case and replaced the input shaft bearing.  Tore down trans and found the counter shaft bearings were toast.  I tried beating, heating and pressing the middle bearing inner race off of the counter shaft to no avail, and decided it was in good enough shape and determined enough that I would just let it be.  Installed new bearings, and reinstalled the countershaft to the lower trans case. At this point I discovered that somewhere in all the bearing, beating and and pressing I managed to slightly bend the countershaft.  It now has just a few thousandths of runout, but it is enough that when the trans is reassembled that it locks up the shafts.  So on to finding a new trans.  Also about this same time I was laid off and went to work for a friend of mine, but now work 400 miles from home.  So the Suzuki has hit the back burner.  My new job provides a vehicle to drive, so that pushes it even farther down the list of things to do my few days home.
But alas, not all is lost!  My travels for work brought me into contact with an abandoned XL7!  It had been abandoned by a former employee at a yard close to where I am working.  I stopped in and asked about it, and was told the employee left one day and never returned, and had flat disappeared, and if I could get the vehicle off the property, have at it!  I estimate it has been sitting for atleast a year.  But it is 4x4, and from what I can tell, has a steel front diff!  It is super rough, busted rear glass, no keys, no battery, etc.  But it does have all 4 factory aluminum wheels with it also.  My plan is to pull the front diff to put in the ‘Kick, and possibly the rear.  I am pretty sure I have some gear noise in my rear diff, so it needs replaced anyways.  Hopefully soon I can start taking measurements and see what that swap will entail.  I would like to go with the 4 link from the XL7 into my ‘Kick, but I have some head scratching to do first.

Quick question on the XL7, it is a 2003 model.  Do these have any kind of anti theft?  I was thinking of sticking a battery in it and trying to hot wire it to see if the motor and trans are any good.
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »
So I unloaded the XL7 today, thru a battery in it and hotwired it.  It fired right up!  It has 186k miles and a wicked timing chain slap.  Now if I can find 2 front tires, and get the shifter and column unlocked I can take it for a drive.
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 11:03:59 PM »
If I'm reading this right you have front springs installed in the rear of the sidekick?

Would the springs pop out offroading?

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 02:17:13 PM »
I am not sure on the springs coming out.  It has been the other “off-road” for the past year, so I am not sure, and don’t have a lot of miles on it with those springs.  One of the reasons I put that heavy a spring in the back is at the time for work I was almost daily dragging a trailer and kept it loaded with tools.
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »
Well, I have been on Suzuki hiatus for awhile.  Between being laid off, starting a business, taking a dream job and moving to another state to do so, I think I am finally ready to resurrect the old rig.  I acquired an 03 XL7 while working in the West Texas oil patch, and then bought a 1997 Sidekick as a parts rig I found after moving to Oklahoma.  So, recap...I pulled the trans from my 1995 Kick to fix some noise.  Somehow managed to warp the countershaft while replacing bearings.  So a replacement trans was in order.  Now I have it, just need to start dismantling the parts rig.  It has the same drive train as my rig, 16V, 5 Spd, 4x4, also a 4 door.  The parts rig also has factory manual hubs, which I can use to replace my auto hubs.  Also, it has a good driver side half shaft to replace my shot unit.  So we have more than just a trans in the rig!  Oh, and last but not least, FACTORY ROOF RACK!  That's right, 4 door factory roof rack.  Maybe more exciting than the trans, manual hubs, etc, is the roof rack!  Of course, as you all can guess, the exhaust manifold on my parts rig 16 valve motor is cracked where the #4 port meets the rest of the manifold.  So hopefully in short order I will be rolling in my Zuk again!
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2020, 06:57:23 PM »
So I finally got my lazy butt in gear and got the trans and case in my Zuk today!  I had pulled them out of the parts rig a few months ago, and they have been on the ground under my rig just waiting since then.  They are in, crossmember, clutch cable, etc...fired it up for the first time in over 2 years, and it was so exciting!  I have to replace output seals on the t-case, install driveshafts and shifters, fluid in trans and case, and I think it is ready for a shake down!  Of course, I have to clean it out also...packed it full of stuff from my shop when we moved in 2019, so have to find a home for all the stuff inside of the ole thing.  It was super exciting to hear it snort and roar to life again!
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2020, 07:27:36 PM »
Well, I got to drive the Zuk for a couple days.  I replaced the front u joint in the rear drive shaft and apparently did not get 2 of the snap rings fully seated, because a mile down the road lost 2 caps.  So back to the house and parked.  I decided this was as good a time as any to go ahead and replace the rear end.  Mine has had a lot of noise, and some very excessive backlash.  So working on that.  Also installing XL7 rear springs while it is apart.  As part of that, thinking about cutting the spring perches off of the XL7 rear end to install on mine, as well as possibly moving the shock mounts higher.  I am trying to do things that will help me with the ultimate goal of 4 linking the rear.
1995 Sidekick JLX
OEM ROOF RACK!!!