Hello Guest

Trying to determine what a tracker is worth

• 5 Replies

Offline dentedvw

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Trying to determine what a tracker is worth
« on: January 07, 2018, 07:04:30 AM »
I have been looking for a tracker/sidekick for running around town/some mountain roads. I like the tracker because it's slightly newer and a little bit modern looking. We really want a convertible model, because that's what the wife says.  :)

There is one for sale locally that looks a bit rough, has been plastidipped to help hide the damage and mismatched panels I figure. A 1993 for 1300. 205k miles. No title, however. Ad says he has paperwork to get the title. So, maybe salvage. Also it appears that the ignition switch is broken, and is started with a screwdriver. The interior is quite shabby, no radio, broken heat vents, torn up seats, etc.

To me, a cheapskate, this sounds like a 700 dollar car. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Online fordem

Re: Trying to determine what a tracker is worth
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:30:11 AM »
The value of a used car is going to be determined firstly by where it is located and secondly by what the buyer is willing to pay - if there are no other vehicles that suit your needs in your neck of the woods, and you want that one badly enough, you'll pay what he's asking - if you think the asking price is excessive (and that's what it sounds like), you'll either try to negotiate it down, or move on - likewise, if there are other vehicles close by that suit your needs, you're not going to focus on that particular one, you'll look elsewhere.

Take a look at Craig's list, see what else is available nearby, or within a reasonable driving distance - you can also factor in the cost of flying out to where ever the vehicle is and driving back or having it trucked in.

You make it sound like a Tracker is "slightly newer and a bit more modern looking" than a Sidekick - just so you're aware - a first generation Tracker (89~98) is pretty much identical to a Sidekick, there is a second generation Tracker (99~05), which also has a Suzuki equivalent, the Vitara, and which was also available in a convertible, at least up to around 2003 - if you're looking for "slightly newer and a bit more modern looking", along with more power (2.0 litre engines as compared to 1.6) and better equipped, that might be the way to go - of course, you'll probably have to pay a little bit more.

One last thing - do you really want to be buying a car with no title?  If he has the paperwork, let him sort it out before you buy it.  Plastidipped exterior, 205 k miles, trashed interior and no title, sounds like a "parts car" to me - $700 would be more than I would be willing to pay...
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline thebanjoman

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 10:37:39 AM »
I have been looking for a tracker/sidekick for running around town/some mountain roads. I like the tracker because it's slightly newer and a little bit modern looking. We really want a convertible model, because that's what the wife says.  :)

There is one for sale locally that looks a bit rough, has been plastidipped to help hide the damage and mismatched panels I figure. A 1993 for 1300. 205k miles. No title, however. Ad says he has paperwork to get the title. So, maybe salvage. Also it appears that the ignition switch is broken, and is started with a screwdriver. The interior is quite shabby, no radio, broken heat vents, torn up seats, etc.

To me, a cheapskate, this sounds like a 700 dollar car. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Sounds like the plastidip is hiding more than you think.   Where are you located??     Anything in the Northeast I'd avoid. I let myself get into a mess with a Pennsylvania car that is more sieve than car and I'll be patching a lot.. 

Get under it and look, if you can pull back the carpet (if it's there) and see what the floor is like. 

Fordem is right.   If it a title 'can' be gotten.. Why wasn't it ??  --- Run from this one.

You're in a position to get what you want.  Take your time, look 'em over and find something worth it. 

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
Don't overlook the next gen 99-05 models.  They also have soft tops and similar wheelbases.  But, they have better engine options and lots of little upgrades like AC and airbags etc.  I bought mine in good shape for 1100$ recently.  They are plentiful and "uncool" enough to be cheap. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Offline dentedvw

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:11:20 PM »
I meant newer, more modern than a Samurai. My mistake in not being clear. :)
I live just outside Salt Lake City. Pickings are currently slim. I am not in a big hurry though, the mountain road it will primarily get used on is just now covered in ice, so not going up much now. I had been running up and down in our 4x4 van, but once the road snows in, it's usually a snowmobile only road. We're only still going up because the winter has been so weak so far. We go up a lot because we are paragliders, and we drive up to launch. The road is pretty rough and it's wearing out the expensive van. Our other vehicle is a tacoma, which is great on that road, but flying requires two vehicles. One to drive to launch, one to retrieve. A tracker seems like an okay choice. Not terribly expensive, convertible, 4x4. We could even easily tow it when we travel to fly. Sometimes I use a motorcycle as retrieve vehicle, but it will only carry one person and gear. Fine when i am flying alone though.
Craigslist isn't really a thing here, but there's a local classifieds website that is pretty okay. CL will typically have the same things on it as KSL, and KSL will often have more. For whatever reason, CL never caught on much here.
I am definitely looking for a late model bargain. Doesn't need to be cosmetically perfect, but I would prefer it didn't look like it was being used as a chicken coop. Ha ha ha! Some of them look like they were just saved from the scrap yard.
The Samurai's seem to be going for more money here. People like that gen. I kind of like them, but I'm partial to the sidekick/tracker. The design speaks to me more, I guess.
I'll expand my search. About four hours away, there is a fairly nice model for 1800.

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:29:11 PM »
https://www.searchtempest.com

Search tool that I’ve found helpful. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had