Hello Guest

all stock 87 tin top keeps dying on me going down the road

• 7 Replies

Offline MADMOLLY

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
all stock 87 tin top keeps dying on me going down the road
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:33:18 AM »
I .have a stock  sammi that will drive fine for days then just stop running going down the road. I come back to get it the next day and it starts and drives fine. It has done this for several months leaving me stranded about 10 times. I have vented the gas cap. put a filter between the carbon canister to the carb . so nothing can get in the carb. Replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. changed the coil. had my mechanic check everything electronic but were it starts the next day is making it impossible for him to find. Any help would be great. Its a nice little rust free sammi but I'm just afraid to drive it and get stranded again
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:01:23 AM by MADMOLLY »

Online fordem

Re: all stock 87 tin top keeps dying on me going down the road
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:13:39 AM »
First - you need to give us an approximate idea of where you are - Samurais are not the same in every corner of the world - and we have no idea what a "stock 87 tin top" in your corner or the world is the same as it is in our corner of the world.

Next - you may need to either, depending on what is available in your corner of the world, learn the basics of auto mechanics so you can do the preliminary troubleshooting, or get some sort of roadside assistance package where someone will come out and do it for you.  Intermittent problems can be a pain to locate, and can't see the symptoms, it's going to take him a long time to figure it out, and for him, time is money - your money I might add.

Basic troubleshooting - like checking for a spark at the coil or a plug - or - spraying starter fluid into the intake whilst cranking which helps determine if it's a fuel or spark related problem.

I also want to mention, in passing, that many years ago, I had a very similar problem with a motor cycle - it would just up & die on me, as if it had run out of fuel - I eventually tracked it down to a tiny seed (from a plant) inside the carburetor - it would move around and occasionally block the main jet cutting the fuel supply to the engine - I had to completely strip the carb to find it.

You have not mentioned cleaning the carb, and putting a filter before it won't remove anything that's already in the carb ...
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline MADMOLLY

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 09:49:08 AM »
i live in illinois. Got the suzuki in Arizona a few years ago. I am trying to learn the basics of mechanics , was just hoping someone might have some ideas. My mechanic works for Ford and is not familiar with common problems to this suzuki and has given up trying to find it for me.

Offline MADMOLLY

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »
Will work on the trouble shooting basics. Thanks for your time

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 12:19:54 PM »
You're welcome.

One of the things that used to be said about the Samurai and it's engine is that it was a very simple vehicle and an ideal one to learn the basics of auto-mechanics - in my mind, the "brand" of vehicle the mechanic is familiar with is not of any significance, this is a four cylinder engine that is as basic as they come, and on an 87, the electronics are as minimal as they come - he should be able to show you how to check for spark, it's the same on any vehicle with a distributor, and the same holds true for the "starting fluid" test - it'll work on any car.

Those two tests alone will provide you with guidance as to which area of the vehicle you should focus on to find the fault.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline MADMOLLY

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 06:43:31 PM »
OK. it died on me again going down the road. Tested it and I have spark.  Used carb. cleaner not stater fluid and it turned over for along time and the coughed and sputtered and finally started and then ran home about 3 miles fine. Going to start looking at how to work on carb. any ideas on any specific parts to check would be a great help. I have run some seafoam threw it a couple tanks but none in this tank.       Thanks Mike

Offline MADMOLLY

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 09:46:43 AM »
FINALLY I figured it out.  Suction from the fuel pump was closing off a bad fuel line back by the gas tank.  Know i only need to adjust the idle a little ;D

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »
Congrats on the find!  I had a similar problem on my old motor home when I bought it last summer. Someone had dropped the tank to clean it out and pinched the fuel line when they put it back together...sometimes the easiest fixes are the right ones.
Was the problem just an old fuel line that had lost rigidity and gotten soft?
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!