Hello Guest

New bumper complete

• 21 Replies

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
New bumper complete
« on: April 12, 2018, 07:32:03 AM »
Finally finished the new bumper.  I used a Jeep bumper cad file and had the parts cut from 1/4” aluminum.  Came out pretty well but took a lot of mod to get it to fit the way I wanted.  Narrowed it by about 2” also. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Re: New bumper complete
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:30:24 AM »
That's a pretty good looking bumper.  Is the file available?  I would like to make it from. 3/16" steel with 1/4" mounting brackets.

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 04:14:51 PM »
Yep. Visit flatland 4x4 he has several designs to choose and charges 25$ for the cut files which I thought was very reasonable.  It’s designed for 3/16” steel. 

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »
I would like to see some other views.  I think that pretty impressive.  1/4" aluminum should be pretty solid.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »
Wow, suddenly I am not so impressed with my bumper!  That is pretty awesome...tig welded?
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »
Thanks ya Tig welded most of it but also got to try my new spool gun on the brackets which was fun.   This was not plug and play by any means so be warned but I thought it was a good way to get a head start.  I’ve made several similar (better) bumpers before but they take me years of pondering and procrastinating.  Even this one took a long time to finally get dialed. 

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:46:42 PM »
I made a little steel skid to cover my AC hose and radiator.  I’ll try to get a few more shots and show my back bumper in progress, also an adapted heep bumper from cl already welded!  You know you’re a lazy welder when you pay some kid in China to weld your stuff, let some Schlub buy it and never install it then sell for half price on CL.  It totally doesn’t fit but it got me towing and I’ve got some ideas on how to make it cool.  Might take a few years to finish but Im digging this car so much I think I’ll have it that long. 

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
More views.  I’ve never been much of a winch guy and had planned to use the winch space as maybe a rigging box or something but after using a harbor freight cheapo for the last year that I upgraded to synthetic line I’m now considering putting one in there. 

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
You could just put a receiver tube in the front bumper. And a hitch mount on the winch...
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »
Yes I did that on a bumper once but problem with it is that it must stick out enough to get a pin hole through and I don’t want a big wang out the front.  But yes the point is a good one and that is when we get stuck and need a winch, we never want to pull forward we always want to pull back.  So, a front mount winch is good for utility use but not necessarily wheeling.  But that’s okay because I don’t go wheeling, I let the wheeling come to me instead.  Anyway I’ll probably make a lid to keep tools and rigging inside. 

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »
I ran the skid cover back to the middle crossmember, and then another skid pan back to the back crossmember.  These have saved me many times, but I like to go to the end of any road and be able to turn around.
I am looking forward to what you do with the rear bumper.  I am not set up for aluminum work, but always enjoy seeing others good work.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 05:52:04 PM »
Yes I should probably skid the whole underbelly but I just cringe at the thought of gaining too much weight because these little rigs really shine in their light and free nature.   I’d hate to lose mpg, power and handling.   And, I don’t really wheel hard enough to warrant it anyway.   

Here’s what I have so far for the rear.  I think it might be a smittybuilt product for Jeep.   Also took a lot of mods to get it here I beefed up the built in tow hitch with a cross tube and dialed in the electrical plug like I always do.   My trailers are all tight electrically.   When I resto a trailer I use garden variety 14/2 extension cords that I cut up for wire.  Run both sides with dedicated ground wires and solder all connections.   Never have a problem again on them except the plugs occasionally need replacement.  I towed so much with my x90 that I needed to do tranny bearings at 110k.  This car will see similar service.  Just dragged home a ton of pellets last week on a probably 700 Lb trailer.  No problem for the little mule.  I probably won’t try to launch the 8000 lb boat with it though, although I bet it would handle it. 

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 02:20:47 PM »
nice bumper and super light and durable
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »
Thanks.  Out in the real world, you gotta stay light. 

Offline thebanjoman

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »
Yes I should probably skid the whole underbelly but I just cringe at the thought of gaining too much weight because these little rigs really shine in their light and free nature.   I’d hate to lose mpg, power and handling.   And, I don’t really wheel hard enough to warrant it anyway.   

Here’s what I have so far for the rear.  I think it might be a smittybuilt product for Jeep.   Also took a lot of mods to get it here I beefed up the built in tow hitch with a cross tube and dialed in the electrical plug like I always do.   My trailers are all tight electrically.   When I resto a trailer I use garden variety 14/2 extension cords that I cut up for wire.  Run both sides with dedicated ground wires and solder all connections.   Never have a problem again on them except the plugs occasionally need replacement.  I towed so much with my x90 that I needed to do tranny bearings at 110k.  This car will see similar service.  Just dragged home a ton of pellets last week on a probably 700 Lb trailer.  No problem for the little mule.  I probably won’t try to launch the 8000 lb boat with it though, although I bet it would handle it.

Nice, but am I the only one who's eyes immediately focus first on the open space under each tail light and the vents??    I'm trying to figure out a rear bumper for my 97 sport but it has to wrap around like the original or I'd drive myself nuts.