Hello Guest

Want to make my 2002 chevy tracker more off -road worthy

• 16 Replies

Offline mudTherapy

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Want to make my 2002 chevy tracker more off -road worthy
« on: April 23, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »
So I have a 2002 Chevy Tracker that I want to make a little more off-road worthy. I can do regular maintenance, but I'm not a mechanic by any means so not sure how to begin or how far I should go for the type of performance that I want.
I want to be able to still drive it on the HWY so not wanting to go all swamp-buggy on it...I would like to get it to where mud and water ain't going to stop it though...I'm also looking to spend under $4,000 if possible.

What would be a good lift?
Tire size?
What kind of modifications need to be made?

Thanks in advance.

Online fordem

Re: Want to make my 2002 chevy tracker more off -road worthy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »
You're going to need to be a little more specific as to what you hope to do with the vehicle, and if you can't, my advice would be to go drive the vehicle "as is" and see how far it will take you and then decide how much you need to modify it.

Mud & water will stop any vehicle (except for maybe a hovercraft), and if you think that's not true, just add more water.

Having said that - a stock 2002 will go through twenty plus inches of water with little trouble (assuming a reasonably firm base), and I would strongly suggest you avoid deep mud unless you have deep pockets and like spending money on maintenance.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline mudTherapy

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »
I want to take it down old mining roads. I have taken it out on trails and I've been very impressed with it, which has me wanting to make it even more suitable for off-roading. The problem I've mostly run into is not having enough clearance to get over some rocky terrain or being able to make it on trails that have deep grooves from the tires of other, much larger off-road vehicles.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:33:39 PM by mudTherapy »

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 04:55:21 PM »
How much more "clearance" do you need (are you dragging or lightly scraping), and can you resolve the issue by choosing a different line, for example, rather than attempting to straddle whatever it is, put the tire on it so that the vehicle climbs it.

As far as ruts go, much larger vehicles will typically have much larger tires, there is a limit to how large a tire you can get on a Tracker without making the vehicle "undriveable" - personally I would not consider anything larger than a thirty inch tire (stock is roughly twenty-seven inch)
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
Fordem is hinting at the right path here.  Sure, putting 4$k into mods will likely make your tracker more capable, but those mods will have a price aside from money as well.  These cars are very capable because they are small and light and have true 4wd and just enough tire and power that they don’t self destruct.  If you want the best performance for mud you need mud tires.  Rocks demand more AT although good mud tires are fine there as well.  For me, a 2” loft and 235/75 tires are about the best compromise.  If I had the extra cash I’d buy a torsen LSD rear differential for it, and if you’re getting even more technical a front locker will be ok the list as well. These mods, if installed by someone else, will probably put you out about 3000$ and will enhance the capability quite a bit.  If you’re stumping it a lot some armor will be smart.  And the list goes on. 

However, if you’re already impressed, leave it be maybe just get mud tires.  Go from there and see what it’s limitations are.  They will surprise you and other bigger rigs for sure.  And exploring back roads, trails, etc usually doesn’t require crazy stuff like lockers.  I’ve always said, open diffs save lives and rigs.  They save your life on ice, and they save your rig by limiting traction BEFORE rolling the vehicle!   Besides, getting stuck and unstuck is the very basic part of off road driving, at least in my region. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 08:17:17 AM »
Be VERY careful with front lockers - you more than likely have an aluminum front differential housing, and adding a locker is a sure fire way to break it.

The front differential IS the achilles heel on these vehicles.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »
Do you know if the x90 used aluminum front housing? Just curious. 

Online fordem

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 06:03:23 PM »
Yes, it did - the X-90 is essentially a "re-bodied" two door first gen, and all first gens except for the diesel powered variants used aluminum front housings.

Broken front diffs were not unheard of with the first gens if they were wheeled hard - the problem became more common after the second gens were released, with larger, more powerful engines .
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 07:49:46 PM »
Ah yes.  Well I wheeled that one hard enough.  Sometimes I think people definition of hard wheeeling is different than mine.  Big wheel spin and full throttle action on grabby terrain will break stuff.  Maybe I’ll upgrade to the steel housing eventually. 

Offline mudTherapy

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »
Hey thanks guys for the insight!

Phase Change - That's what I was looking for, thanks for all the info!

Fordem - Good to know about the front diffs.     

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »
So I have a 2002 Chevy Tracker that I want to make a little more off-road worthy. I can do regular maintenance, but I'm not a mechanic by any means so not sure how to begin or how far I should go for the type of performance that I want.
I want to be able to still drive it on the HWY so not wanting to go all swamp-buggy on it...I would like to get it to where mud and water ain't going to stop it though...I'm also looking to spend under $4,000 if possible.

What would be a good lift?
Tire size?
What kind of modifications need to be made?

Thanks in advance.
I would start with rock sliders (works good on logs also), and then skid pans.  With those you can get to a lot more places, where you can be really stuck.  So a winch would be another item early on your list (and cheap HF 8,000 lb winches work great on Trackers) with straps to go around trees and boulders.  A good tow strap for when your friends have to pull you off the rock you are stuck on top of because only one of your tires is touching.
With those items you can explore most back road areas, and learn what you can't do and what it will take to do that.  New tires always help, and bigger tires help more, but I recommend playing more and learning what it takes to get to the places you have to play in. 
I would not put lockers on Trackers.  There is a big learning curve driving with them, and if they are not setup exactly right you can't learn how to drive with them.  If not set up correctly they will make everyone wonder you can't drive in a parking lot without your car jumping, banging, and shuddering.  Selectable lockers work when needed, and are better than stock gearing when unlocked.  But, they are ea$ily a grand each.
Go Play and enjoy your Tracker.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 07:46:06 PM »
Go simple to start if you want to modify...2” spacer lift, extended rear shocks, 235/75/15 tires.  May need wheel spacers.  You can get Goodyear Wrangler Radials at Walmart for $75 each, and they are fair enough off road.  A good tow strap and even a come-along would be good cheap items to carry along.  A winch would also be a great investment...does your tracker have a receiver hitch?  If so you can get a hitch mount bracket to use the winch on the back of your vehicle, and eventually install a receiver on the front as well.
There are so many options!!!  But the above advice to just wheel it as is, that is good advice.  Find out where the deficiencies are in how you intend to use the rig, and address those issues...for example, my friend who I bought my Sidekick from, he would never need a snorkel on his rig, he does not like mud at all, just rocks and trails.  I, on the other hand, have trouble denying my inner redneck and find myself drawn to every mud hole I see.  As a result, a snorkel may be in my future...
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »
Go simple to start if you want to modify...2” spacer lift, extended rear shocks, 235/75/15 tires.  May need wheel spacers.  You can get Goodyear Wrangler Radials at Walmart for $75 each, and they are fair enough off road.  A good tow strap and even a come-along would be good cheap items to carry along.  A winch would also be a great investment...does your tracker have a receiver hitch?  If so you can get a hitch mount bracket to use the winch on the back of your vehicle, and eventually install a receiver on the front as well.
There are so many options!!!  But the above advice to just wheel it as is, that is good advice.  Find out where the deficiencies are in how you intend to use the rig, and address those issues...for example, my friend who I bought my Sidekick from, he would never need a snorkel on his rig, he does not like mud at all, just rocks and trails.  I, on the other hand, have trouble denying my inner redneck and find myself drawn to every mud hole I see.  As a result, a snorkel may be in my future...
Ha! That’s my exact setup.  I gotta say I’m very surprised at the grip those wranglers have in all conditions.  The seem to self clean mud and claw through wet grass and stuff darn well, and pretty cheap. 
1: My problem with winches has always been several things.  One, I’m not sure there is going to be a useful safe anchor where I want to winch.   In fact, I’d guess that 90% of the time here won’t be. 
2: they don’t winch us backward which is many times what we’d prefer if we got stuck. 
3: they are expensive investment that is sitting in the elements when installed in a bumper. 
4: they increase late night calls from stuck friends. 

So, I think I want a comealong based self recovery kit.  Try and keep it small.  Maybe have a small winch on the front bumper but mainly just for yard work utility etc rather than a primary recovery tool.  A hitch or hook mount winch is nice, but takes a lot of room and wiring etc. 

If you can find it, watch a show called Alaskan Off Road Warriors.   It was a good show actually, and it showed the limitations of our rigs quite well.   My main take away from it was that traction mats are great insurance for stucks.  So I think for me a pair of those and a decent come along will be all I need. 

Online fordem

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 05:31:34 AM »
for example, my friend who I bought my Sidekick from, he would never need a snorkel on his rig, he does not like mud at all, just rocks and trails.

Snorkels are actually quite useful, even for those of us who aren't drawn to mud & water.  They significantly reduce the amount of dust ingested by the engine.

'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 10:25:42 PM »
Yes^^^ snorkels primary use is dust actually. 

Most important is recovery gear.  A STRONG tow rope is essential.  Must be at least 2”, they can be dangerous if they break.  Curiously though the winch can be very light duty, 1500lb comealong is fine.  You don’t need a winch bumper to use a comealong but they do make for a good place to store one.