Hello Guest

J23 swap into 1g questions

• 11 Replies

Offline trkrpwr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
J23 swap into 1g questions
« on: May 02, 2018, 08:36:00 PM »
Greetings.

For those who have done this swap, what was your radiator/fan solution?

I'm using tt mounts but they only leave me about 3 inches between engine and rad for a fan. Pretty sure theyre not flipped since the trans lines up with the crossmember and the driveshaft semi installed.

The 2g radiator fits in the 1g except the outlet wants to sit on the steering stop. The 1g radiator isn't an option due to inlet/outlet placements. An esteem 1.6 rad would be perfect if it werent undersized.

Lastly, has anyone managed to do this and keep the ac functional?

My combo:
98 tracker 4 door
J23a inc aerio intake/tb/iac
2g auto
2g injectors
2g ecu/cam sensor

Thanks

Offline thebanjoman

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: J23 swap into 1g questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 11:33:46 AM »
Greetings.

For those who have done this swap, what was your radiator/fan solution?

I'm using tt mounts but they only leave me about 3 inches between engine and rad for a fan. Pretty sure theyre not flipped since the trans lines up with the crossmember and the driveshaft semi installed.

The 2g radiator fits in the 1g except the outlet wants to sit on the steering stop. The 1g radiator isn't an option due to inlet/outlet placements. An esteem 1.6 rad would be perfect if it werent undersized.

Lastly, has anyone managed to do this and keep the ac functional?

My combo:
98 tracker 4 door
J23a inc aerio intake/tb/iac
2g auto
2g injectors
2g ecu/cam sensor

Thanks

2 10 inch electric fans..   Although I have a Sport so using the original radiator.   Got them off Amazon..   They're the same ones as Matt Verley uses his J23 swap.

Offline AZSami

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »
I have a '98 2dr Tracker with 3spd auto, A/C and 2.3 L Aerio engine. Trail Tough did the engine swap. A radiator from a Vitara is used and also the A/C condenser fan is used for cooling. TT wiring harness connects to the 2.3 L ECM (automatic trans. version) and the temp. sensor on the back of the cylinder head controls the A/C condenser fan. Fan turns on at 206 deg. F and off at 195 deg. F. The A/C compressor, power steering pump and alternator from 2.3 L are used.

I use this vehicle in a desert area so found that I needed a better cooling for slow off road driving using A/C. I replaced the A/C condensor fan with a Derale high output, 14" 2 speed fan. I've also added water wetter to the cooling solution and a high flow thermostat-MotoRad P/N 2319-180 (got from Rockauto.com), which made a big difference! It was 104 here today and A/C worked great.

I've changed gearing from stock 4.30 to 4.625 and am using 235/75-15 tires.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Offline trkrpwr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 03:51:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I thought about using two small puller fans but didnt think they'd move enough air. There's not enough room for a shroud anymore so I'm already hurting my cooling.

I didn't think the ac fan was enough but also didn't think of using a pusher. I bought two slim fans so far; a maradyne mm12k(didnt fit) and a derale 18214 14 inch fan(also didnt fit as a puller). I'll look into the derale as a pusher although I was hoping to retain the ac fan plus some sort of puller. I found a rad that may work and free up some room, I'll report back on success/failure.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 06:50:57 AM »
We have found the Tracker AC fan to be less than adequate for off road use.  We tried to use the AC fan in 1.6L and it would not supply cooling for Moab in May, so we went to a 14" 3000 cfm fan and solved the issues.  While I am running a much larger radiator in my 2.7L swap, it was not enough with the Tracker AC fan for off road, so had to go with 3000 cfm.  I use a thermo switch to ground a relay supplying voltage to the fan.  We have used all our fans as pushers.
I did not think that the Aerio 2.3L ECM automatic trans version would communicate with the 3 speed auto, giving you a standing communication failure alarm. 
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline AZSami

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 10:56:21 PM »
The 3 spd. auto does not communicate with J23 auto trans ECM and thus the torque converter lock up is not functional. This slightly affects fuel mileage and dumps some additional heat into the radiator, but so far its been ok and it was 105 here today. If needed, I've found a source for a Vitara radiator with a 2 row core.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 06:59:49 AM »
The main issue is that with a standing alarm you do not know when another alarm comes in, and to check what it is.  I have heard in the past that TT did not connect the CEL, so one would not know what was happening.  I realize when you rig is running good the CEL and OBD2 port are irrelevant, but when thing start going wrong without notifications it can quickly end a trip/vacation. 
I would suggest that you get a wireless OBD2 reader and App that you can run on your phone to keep an eye on what alarms are coming in.  (I got mine off Amazon and are under $20.)  If you do not have an OBD2 port, you only need four wires to make it work, and I suggest that you do that.
The Hp & Torque makes this a fun swap.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline AZSami

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 06:08:26 PM »
I have a ScanGauge II connected so I can keep track of fuel mileage, engine coolant temp etc. If I suspect something isn't right I can check for trouble codes.

Offline trkrpwr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 09:32:14 PM »
Still chipping away at this swap as time allows.

I found a radiator/fan combo that at least fits the space or lack thereof. If it works out, I'll post details. Had a sidekick sport show up in a local junkyard so I grabbed the ac hoses. It looks like I only needed the rubber portion of the upper ac hose; it hooked into the 1g hard line and stretched to the compressor with a little effort. As it stands, I *should* be able to get the ac working but the steering box/ac lines/water pump inlet area is incredibly cramped. Probably ought to make some metal hoses given the length and bends I need to fit the rad.

Caution: For any auto 1g folks attempting this swap, the aerio flexplate holes/torque converter bolts are m8 where the 2g converter bolts are m10 so the flexplate needs to be drilled out. I verified this with my own eyes since I have both sets of bolts. Stupid me didn't notice when I pulled the 2g trans that I was using a 14mm socket instead of a 12mm so I'll need to pull the motor to get at those. Good times.

Edit: corrected socket size
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:13:39 PM by trkrpwr »

Offline trkrpwr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 05:50:12 PM »
Got it together enough to start, still have a couple of annoying wiring issues. The radiator/fan combo clears with less than an inch to spare. It remains to be seen whether it has the cooling power.

The intake is 100% temporary, I was test fitting running the pipe across the top of the rad and decided to throw my stock airbox back in.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 05:52:33 PM by trkrpwr »

Offline Perryd

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 02:36:47 AM »
That looks awesome man! Great work.

Hows the communication between the 2.3/2g trans/ECU/injectors? 4speed auto I guess?

1998 Tracker 2 door soft top, 3spd auto, 4x4, 215/57R15 BFG A/T, bone stock.

Offline trkrpwr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »
Thanks. I've only run it for about 15 seconds a couple times since I havent finished my cooling setup but so far nothing seems unhappy.

Correct, 4 speed auto.

Stock 2g radiator core specs: 16.75h x 20.3875w x 1d = 341.49 in^3

My radiator specs: 15.8125h x 19.3125w x 1.25d = 381.72 in^3

Fan coverage with single 16" puller: ~201 in^2

The fan covers almost exactly 66% of the core so I'm hoping that combined with its cfm, I have enough for stop and go traffic.