Hello Guest

2002 Chevy Tracker overlander projec

• 7 Replies

Offline mattjans

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
2002 Chevy Tracker overlander projec
« on: August 13, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »
Hi all! I have a 4-door Chevy Tracker (2002) 2.0L 4-door with 4wd low. Last year I started the process of building it out into an overlander/camper. Added aluminum wheels and AT tires, took out rear seats, and drawing up plans for a rear drawer/compartment system.

Next on the list is new exhaust because my current has a leak. Been watching YouTube videos and reading about different options, but am having trouble narrowing options down. My priorities, in order are:

1) Low weight (aluminum not steel, if that's such a thing for exhaust)

2) quiet... Don't want to ruin my outdoor experience

3) Power gains...from what I've gathered, exhaust isn't really a major player in power gains (at least for my little rig).

Anyone have a favorite brand or exhaust they like to help me narrow it down? Or is there anything else I should be thinking about? Cost isn't a huge issue in this project.

Thanks!

Offline trkrpwr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: 2002 Chevy Tracker overlander projec
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 08:11:50 PM »
For what you plan to do with your ride, I would recommend stainless over aluminum. For a single exhaust, probably 2.25" max, you wont see much weight savings with aluminum and the stainless will last forever. The aluminum won't rust but it will fatigue from vibration and heat cycling.

If you want it quiet, go as large as you can stand and avoid chamber style mufflers.

Offline mattjans

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 04:32:26 AM »
Thanks!

For what you plan to do with your ride, I would recommend stainless over aluminum. For a single exhaust, probably 2.25" max, you wont see much weight savings with aluminum and the stainless will last forever. The aluminum won't rust but it will fatigue from vibration and heat cycling.

If you want it quiet, go as large as you can stand and avoid chamber style mufflers.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
Slap a glass pack on it.  If you keep your cat and no megaphone tip you won’t have much of a noticeable noise increase.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »
I wouldn't recommend that- I ran a Cherry Bomb glasspack on my 97 Kick and it was awful. Later I had an 01 Vitara with a Cherry Bomb "turbo" muffler and it was quieter than most vaccuum cleaners, and half the size and weight of the original muffler.
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 09:28:05 PM »
I do t know if it makes a difference, but I am not running a cherry bomb, just a generic glass pack.  I have had cherry bombs on a pickup before, and they were horrible!
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline mattjans

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »
Thanks for the muffler suggestions everyone! Right now I'm deciding between a Walker Premium Quiet-Flow SS (stainless), and a Flowmaster 50 series. Just waiting for the folks at Flowmaster to get back to me. I've never put together an exhaust system, so want to make sure I get all the right parts. Having my mechanic assemble/install.

Next two things on my list.

1) Cat: Haven't really researched yet, but wondering about what performance gains I can get here.

2) Header: I can't seem to find any performance headers that fit a 2002 Chevy Tracker 2.0L 4cyl. Is it even worth spending my time looking more.

Thanks!

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
There is one header made in Australia but the word is it just moves the power curve up a little and doesn’t really help,that much.
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had