Hello Guest

High-performance cat for 2002 Chevy Tracker 4cyl, 2.0L

• 7 Replies

Offline mattjans

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
High-performance cat for 2002 Chevy Tracker 4cyl, 2.0L
« on: September 07, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »
Hi folks. Guess I could've titled this "should I just go ahead and replace both cats. I have two. One just off the manifold (I think) and one that runs horizontal under the car. My connection between the first and the front pipe before the second is pretty rusted (the flange). So here are the options on the table. The broader context is that this is a 2002 with only 78k miles, and I'm trying to upgrade it for more offroad capability over time.

Option 1: Since both pipes might break at the connection, my mechanic is offering to weld a piece of pipe instead of buying replacement parts. But since money isn't a big issue right now (have some saved up for repairs and upgrades), I'm considering a bigger exhaust upgrade.

Option 2: Replace full exhaust including both cats. The muffler is fine but I want a quieter one anyway.

If I go with option two, any recommended performance parts (specifically the cats, but other exhaust parts, too) I should consider?Goal is offroading, rock climbing, etc, so low-end power is most important.

I've looked around for performance headers for the Tracker but there don't seem to be many (or any) options. Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: High-performance cat for 2002 Chevy Tracker 4cyl, 2.0L
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 10:07:52 PM »
There is a header available, equal length.  Out of Australia I believe. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Offline trkrpwr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 05:39:15 AM »
There is a header available, equal length.  Out of Australia I believe.
The header out of Australia(Hurricane header sold by Dea performance out of Lynbrook & can be found on ebay) is a tri-y design and in order to run it on a factory 2.0 you'd have to eliminate the first cat. It also doesn't come with an egr provision. I was planning to do a small post on it once I get it back from powdercoating since there doesn't seem to be much info out there.

If you want to stay emissions legal just run the 2nd gen tubular manifold.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 11:50:55 AM »
mattjans - The header could be a good replacement, depending on how your O2 sensors are situated.  There is an 02 bung on the header outlet.  You will also need a new flexible pipe section after the header.  The EGR issue is relatively easy to correct.  I used a piece of 1/2" stainless tubing, bent at 90 degrees.  I drilled the hole on the cylinder head side of the header slightly smaller than the tubing OD, so that it would not upset the flat gasket surface.  A larger drill was used to open the engine bay side of the flange to allow the tubing to penetrate.  I used a step drill on the number four exhaust tube and then cut down the tubing length on the flange side until it was a good fit.  The tubing was then welded in place at an exhaust shop, from the outside only..  I don't have a good photo of the EGR tube addition, so I zoomed into another photo I have available.  It's the small tube in the right of the photo.  The grey / galvanized material is the coolant tubing that runs over the exhaust.  The smears on the header are from anti-seize used on the exhaust studs.

trkrpwr - Good idea on coating the header.  The factory paint wears quickly.  What kind of coating are you applying?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:54:56 AM by Ridjobradi »

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
The header out of Australia(Hurricane header sold by Dea performance out of Lynbrook & can be found on ebay) is a tri-y design and in order to run it on a factory 2.0 you'd have to eliminate the first cat. It also doesn't come with an egr provision. I was planning to do a small post on it once I get it back from powdercoating since there doesn't seem to be much info out there.

If you want to stay emissions legal just run the 2nd gen tubular manifold.

Trying to clarify here- are you talking about a 2.0L inline 4 in the North American continent or the 2.0L V6 available elsewhere? Your picture and words are leading me to think you're on a totally different engine than the OP is asking about
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 04:37:54 AM »
The Hurricane header pictured is for the J20a four cylinder...
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline trkrpwr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
trkrpwr - Good idea on coating the header.  The factory paint wears quickly.  What kind of coating are you applying?
I went with cerakote high temp because it was local.
Trying to clarify here- are you talking about a 2.0L inline 4 in the North American continent or the 2.0L V6 available elsewhere? Your picture and words are leading me to think you're on a totally different engine than the OP is asking about
Inline 4. It's not the best pic but if you look closely you can see a little bit of that 4th primary tube before it goes behind the others.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »
Mine is the J18 inline 4, in a Sidekick Sport, which is the same configuration as the J20.

The factory tubular header for the J20 is hard to find here.  It's also hard to know you are getting the tubular header, unless you get a photo first. The Aerio parts don't work in the Sidekick, because the down pipe hits the motor mount.