Hello Guest

Weird Running issue with 2001 Chevy Tracker 2.0

• 4 Replies

Offline sengk

Weird Running issue with 2001 Chevy Tracker 2.0
« on: October 04, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »
My Tracker developed a weird issue while out on the trail Sunday.  The car will randomly start to stumble and run really rough while going slow speeds.  When I give it more gas it will stumble even more.  It feels like it's low on gas.  The engine doesn't cut off on it's own.  After shutting it off it was hard to turn it back on.  When it did manage to start again, it ran poorly like before it was shut off.  If I shut it off and wait about 5-10 mins and turn it back on again, it runs normal.

This issue occurred 2 times on the same outing.

First occurrence happened while I was creeping along in 4-low in 1st gear.  engine was running around 2k rpm.  I came to a small incline and the engine RPMs dropped low enough for it to stumble a little and it started running rough as described above.
Second occurrence happened as I was going uphill in 2WD in 1st gear.  One of the rear wheels were stuff into the wheel wells pretty good then the issue started.

After the second occurrence I've driven about 200 majority freeway miles with no issues. 

Today after getting gas at the gas station it wouldn't start at all.  So I waiting 10-15 mins and it starts right up.

2001 Chevy Tracker 2 door rag-top
2.0 engine
manual transmission

I can't duplicate the issue so I'm not sure where to start.  I'm hoping someone on this forum can point me in the right direction.  Thanks in advance.

Online fordem

Re: Weird Running issue with 2001 Chevy Tracker 2.0
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:21:27 PM »
There have been a number of reports of problems with cam position sensors failing when hot and causing the engine to run rough and sometimes stall - the problem disappears if the engine is allowed to cool down.

The cam position sensor is on the back of the exhaust cam between the cylinder head and the firewall - put a bottle of water and a rag in the car, and the next time the problem occurs wet the rag and use it to cool the sensor, if that allows the car to start & run, replace the sensor.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline sengk

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:25:20 AM »
I've got a cam position sensor on order and will report back once installed.  Thank you.

Offline sengk

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
I received the Standard Motor Products sensor that I ordered from Amazon, put it in and the car wont even start.  So I put the old part in and it starts right up.  Maybe I received a defective part.  The box says that it's made in China.  I ordered another sensor from amazon with same day delivery.  I went with a different brand this time at half the cost of the SMP.  I figured if I am going to get a part made in China I mind as well get it for cheaper.  We'll see if the new part works.

Offline sengk

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 10:39:03 PM »
I installed the new camshaft position sensor and it's working perfectly.  I took it offroading the past 3 days without issues.  Thanks for your help.