Hello Guest

WTB Driver side front CV Outer Axle

• 7 Replies

Offline RJkick

WTB Driver side front CV Outer Axle
« on: October 29, 2018, 06:16:44 PM »
They keep pulling out of the boot and I hear stock axles are stronger
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline carolinarigman

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: WTB Driver side front CV Outer Axle
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 03:33:39 PM »
I should have some. I think I have 1 already in a shipping box.
Not sure about shipping cost. I'm in NC. I'll check.
If not I'll have to pull one. May take me a bit! :laugh:

Offline RJkick

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:35:21 AM »
So the problem with new axles is they don't have the retaining ring on the inner most side.  You can tell because when you pull on it the shaft comes all the way out.  The shafts you have, do they pull out or can you tell something is holding it in?
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline RJkick

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 11:38:17 AM »
"There are two types of inner CV in use, the Glaenzer (commonly known as a tripod or tulip joint), and the more common Rzeppa, with 6 steel balls - OEM axles use the Rzeppa for both inner & outer joints, most after market have a Rzeppa for the outer CV, and a Glaenzer for the inner CV - the inner joints on the OEM axles have a retaining ring to stop them pulling apart, the after market axles don't use them - this may be your problem."

Offline carolinarigman

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 02:14:31 PM »
Yes they have a retaining ring in the hub. You are talking about 1st Generation Trackick.
If you are I have some oem spares. I'm also going SAS on my Tracker, so I'm going to have
Probably 3 sets.

Offline RJkick

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:38:49 AM »
It's the other end of the cv axle that we are speaking of.  The new axles, on the diff side, do not have the ring that holds the axle in on full droop.  If you have an axle and pull up on it to extend it you would feel it stop on a metal ring that is inside.  the new axles that are being sold do not have that ring and are fine for a road car but off road with droop they just slide right out of the housing. 

So in the picture where the arrow is pointing and inside of the metal housing is where the retaining ring was on the original, 30 year old, CV Axles. 

Most are amazed when they see you on the trail but parts manufacturers are apparently not since they cheap out and do not put the ring inside any more

Offline carolinarigman

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »
It's the other end of the cv axle that we are speaking of.  The new axles, on the diff side, do not have the ring that holds the axle in on full droop.  If you have an axle and pull up on it to extend it you would feel it stop on a metal ring that is inside.  the new axles that are being sold do not have that ring and are fine for a road car but off road with droop they just slide right out of the housing. 

So in the picture where the arrow is pointing and inside of the metal housing is where the retaining ring was on the original, 30 year old, CV Axles. 

Most are amazed when they see you on the trail but parts manufacturers are apparently not since they cheap out and do not put the ring inside any more

The axles I have don't have 6 bolt holes like the caption says, but they are original used axles. Didn't buy any "new" axles.
Two are still in my Tracker and Sidekick and the third A friend sent to me when he did the sas on his Sidekick.
I've heard of this problem occurring with lifts . Have you did a front diff drop? Sometimes that helps but doesn't cure it when
the new axles without the lock rings are at full droop. It's a shame they cut little corners that turn into a real emergency and
it's not even considered! >:(      What model is your rig 95 or 96?

Offline RJkick

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
Diff drop and limit straps

I just took it out last weekend and now the sway bar link is cutting through my cv boot

thinking about removing the sway bar now