Hello Guest

87 Samurai Engine Noises and Exhaust Smoke - Video Included

• 1 Replies

Offline bb5

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
87 Samurai Engine Noises and Exhaust Smoke - Video Included
« on: November 18, 2018, 01:13:08 PM »
New to the Samurai world and new to this forum.

I picked up a very clean '87 this past summer. For the most part it is a stock vehicle (1.3L), and has under 60,000 miles. The body and drivetrain are in great shape. It's a Special Edition :). I thought the engine was solid :-0

We've been putting some miles on it and having a great time in the Sierra foothills. It always had a bit of a tap or knock going on under the hood, but it went away once warmed up; it has now worsened. Looking for input on where to go to from here. I've tinkered on dirt bikes my entire life, but never done a deep dive on a car. I believe in trouble shooting first, but also don't want to waste time or money chasing something for weeks/months. Long-term plan for this Sami is for it to live on a ranch we have access to, for only seasonal use. I need it to be a dependable, so when visiting the property I just turn the key and go.

https://youtu.be/4qu9qu3sbvI

Thanks!

Offline motofabio

• 87 Samurai JX TinTop
Re: 87 Samurai Engine Noises and Exhaust Smoke - Video Included
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »
That video is super helpful. Here’s what I would do. Simple stuff first...
1) Run the tank out and then fill up with a higher grade of gas. I use 89 in mine because 87 makes it run, well, like yours.
2) Check for spark and proper gap at the spark plugs. It almost sounds like one isn’t firing.
3) Check/adjust the timing.

Hope this helps. Report back!