Hello Guest

No oil to the valves

• 2 Replies

Offline zbeamanx2

• My Instagram
No oil to the valves
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:33:38 PM »
Hey folks, for those of you who are familiar with my ongoing battle my mechanic got my '00 Tracker running, but (and it's a big but) after running for a few minutes and the oil pressure light turning off the valves are still really noisy, almost as if there's no oil getting to them. He says to take the valve cover off and run it to see if oils getting up into the valve cover, to try a pressure gauge, and that the problem could be the oil pump. IMO this sounds like a solid start since there aren't any leaks anywhere or any smoke coming out of the exhaust to indicate excessive oil in the cylinders.

Is there anything else I should consider as well?

P.s- In case you're wondering "Wait, what was keeping it from starting before?" well boy oh boy have I got news for you: while they were probing wires and circuits they turned it over and it just decided it wanted to bloody start. I.e no clue what it was but apparently just trying to find the problem fixed it.

Happy day.

Thanks everyone!

(Cross-posting on other forums too)
Got a 2000 Chevy Tracker that's got a 2.0 L4 and no idea how to convert it to 4wd.

Online fordem

Re: No oil to the valves
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 04:45:57 AM »
Check the FSM - if the engine has been rebuilt or left lying for a while I believe it can take several minutes to get the air out of the lifters - there's a procedure that needs to be followed.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline zbeamanx2

• My Instagram
Re: No oil to the valves
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 07:16:16 AM »
Check the FSM - if the engine has been rebuilt or left lying for a while I believe it can take several minutes to get the air out of the lifters - there's a procedure that needs to be followed.

Just checked the FSM, says to run it for about half an hour at 2-3k RPM. After a quick oil check I'll make sure to let it run for a while. It's very possible that this could be the case. Thank you!
Got a 2000 Chevy Tracker that's got a 2.0 L4 and no idea how to convert it to 4wd.